Steven Shparber assists clients in navigating cutting-edge and emerging issues in the power sector.
Steven uses creative thinking to provide clients with practical and commercially viable solutions to address their legal and business needs. Recognizing that the challenges his clients face often require a range of different potential solutions, he effectively combines elements of regulatory, transactional, litigation and policy advocacy in his practice.
His clients include renewable energy project developers, renewable energy trade groups, infrastructure funds, and large end-use customers. Steven also has extensive experience advising parties seeking to deploy and finance distributed energy resources, including microgrid developers, energy efficiency, demand response and EV charging providers.
In addition to his experience private practice, Steven was in-house counsel at PJM Interconnection, the United States’ largest Regional Transmission Organization, where he covered a wide range of issues related to PJM’s markets, operations and planning functions. Steven began his career as an Attorney-Advisor at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) in the Office of Administrative Law Judges. He is able to draw on his wide range of industry experience and connections in order to meet his clients’ goals and think beyond the immediate legal issues that his clients are facing. He is a frequent speaker at industry events and thought leader on how wholesale power market rules and regulations can impact opportunities and create challenges for emerging energy resources.
Rising Star, Euromoney Legal Media Group (2019)
Atlantic Council, Emerging Leaders in Energy and Environmental Policy Network
Energy Bar Association
State Bar Licenses
- Split (Non)Decisions: The Practitioner’s Guide To Section 205(G) Of The Federal Power Act, Energy Bar Association Brief Spring 2022, Vol. 3, Issue 1, Page 23, Author (June 2022)
- Capacity as a commodity: A new (but familiar) way of rethinking capacity markets for a clean energy future, Utility Dive, Author (February 9, 2021)
- Southeastern utilities’ energy market proposal appears to be less than it may SEEM, Utility Dive, Author (July 30, 2020)
- 2022 Electric Regulation, Law, and Policy at Your Fingertips, The Energy Bar Association (April 7, 2022)
- The 2022 Global Renewable Energy Industry Forecast, DC Bar Association, Moderator (February 10, 2022)
- The U.S. Energy Regulation and Litigation: Trends, Updates, and Critical Issues, The Knowledge Group (October 1, 2020)