Steven ShparberSteven Shparber Clark Hill
Steven Shparber is a Member of the Environment, Energy & Natural Resources group in the Washington, DC office. Steven provides strategic counsel to new participants in wholesale power markets and advocates for new market opportunities on behalf of independent power producers and national renewable energy trade groups.
Steven’s focus is on helping clients navigate cutting edge and emerging issues in the energy industry. Using creative thinking to provide clients with practical and commercially viable solutions to address their legal and business needs, Steven combines elements of regulatory, transactional and litigation in his practice.
His clients include renewable energy project developers, infrastructure funds, and large end-use customers. Steven also has extensive experience counselling parties seeking to deploy and finance distributed energy resources, including microgrid developers, energy efficiency, demand response and EV charging providers, and governmental entities.
In addition to his experience in private practice, Steven was in-house counsel at PJM Interconnection, the United States’ largest Regional Transmission Organization, where he covered a wide range of issues related to PJM’s markets, operations and planning functions. Steven began his career as an Attorney-Advisor at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) in the Office of Administrative Law Judges.
- Southeastern utilities' energy market proposal appears to be less than it may SEEM, Utility Dive, Author (July 30, 2020)
- Are Regional Transmission Organizations the Future for Renewables in the Southeast?, Renewable Energy World, Author (August 28, 2019)
- INSIGHT: Renewables’ Next Frontier: Regional Transmission Orgs, Bloomberg Environment, Author (May 28, 2019)
- Customer Focused and Clean: Power Markets for the Future, Co-Author (November 2018)
- The U.S. Energy Regulation and Litigation: Trends, Updates, and Critical Issues, The Knowledge Group (October 1, 2020)
- Reactive Power Compensation: How to Unlock New Revenue Opportunities for Solar and Storage Projects, Webinar for the Solar Energy Industries Association and American Wind Energy Association, Presenter (July 29, 2020)
- PJM’s MOPR: Unit Specific Exemption Overview, Webinar for the American Wind Energy Association and Solar Energy Industries Association, Presenter (March 27, 2020)
- Wharton Energy Conference: Energy Regulation, Incentives and Business Development, Panelist (October 25, 2019)
- Vermont Law School Energy Symposium: Securing the Future Low Carbon Grid, Panelist (October 17, 2019)
- Real Clean Energy and Climate Change Solutions: "Technology and Policy of Renewables and Energy Efficiency", Moderator (June 19, 2019)