Robert S. DavisRobert Davis Clark Hill
Robert S. Davis
Robert Davis is a nationally recognized real estate attorney who has been counseling clients and closing deals for more than 30 years. He concentrates his practice on sophisticated commercial and residential real estate transactions including leasing, acquisitions, sales, development, loan workouts and restructurings, tax-free exchanges, and real estate finance.
Rob has developed a reputation as one of the preeminent leasing lawyers in Philadelphia. He routinely represents law firms, accounting firms, and other companies with their office leases and major headquarters transactions. He also represents retail tenants and landlords in shopping center lease transactions. Rob also has extensive experience handling multi-family transactions and has successfully closed hundreds of sales and acquisitions ranging from $1 Million to $50+ Million.
In 2020-21, Rob was named one of the Best Real Estate Lawyers in America. In a vote by his peers, he was also ranked in the Top 100 of all "Super Lawyers" in Pennsylvania for Real Estate Law.
Rob has a strong business background and is known for his problem-solving abilities, sound judgment, and desire to achieve cost effective results for his clients. He represents local, regional, and national developers, international retailers, public and privately held companies, owners and operators of nursing homes and assisted living facilities, and private investors. He is a frequent lecturer on a variety of real estate topics and has authored numerous articles on retail and office leasing issues.
Rob has been a member of the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) for more than 20 years and has served as a discussion leader at the ICSC US Shopping Center Law Conference for the past several years.
Rob is an active leader in his community and has received several awards and recognition for his charitable work throughout the Philadelphia region. He was a board member of Legacy Youth Tennis and Education (formerly Arthur Ashe) and served on their Tennis and Property Committees. He also served on the board of Boys and Girls Clubs of Philadelphia for many years.
- Served as the real estate partner in charge of a $3.5 Billion M&A transaction involving the acquisition of numerous automobile dealerships in several different states
- Served as local counsel to a New York Department Store chain in connection with a 100,000 sq. ft. lease for the client's first department store in Philadelphia
- Represented a developer in connection with the $10.8 Million sale of a 100-unit apartment complex
- Represented a NYSE company in connection with a $32 Million acquisition of a large office park in Horsham, Pennsylvania
- Represented a major professional Philadelphia sports team in connection with the lease of their new practice facility in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Represented a developer in connection with a $34 Million sale of three (3) office buildings in Austin, Texas to a group of investors led by GE Real Estate
- Served as special Pennsylvania counsel to a national supermarket chain in connection with a securitized loan transaction involving $1.6 Billion in loans from various lenders
- Represented a large privately held company in connection with the multi-million dollar sale of 64 acres of land and several industrial buildings located along the Delaware River
- Represented a large privately held company in connection with a $50 Million loan secured by new and used automobile dealerships in New Hampshire, Indiana, and Tennessee, and the acquisition of a new automobile dealership in Nashville, Tennessee
- Assisted members of the Corporate Department in connection with a Hotel/Casino acquisition in Central City, Colorado and a $45 Million bond issuance to finance the construction of a new four-lane super highway to provide access to Central City
- Represented a group of investors in connection with their efforts to acquire a large convention center plaza in Pennsylvania (including a convention center and two (2) hotels) and to convert a portion of the convention center into a gaming facility
- Represented a large privately held company in connection with a 55,000 square foot lease for the relocation of its corporate headquarters to a new office building being constructed in Santa Monica, California
- Represented a developer in connection with the sale of several large apartment complexes in Pennsylvania and Delaware
- Represented several large national retailers in connection with new store leases and acquisitions across the country
- Represented the owner of several large shopping centers and malls in Pennsylvania in connection with the lease-up of those properties to various retail and office tenants
Lectures & Seminars
- Seminar, Make Sure You Nail It! Construction Contract Negotiations & 2017 AIA Construction Contract Revisions (November 1, 2017)
- Seminar, Philadelphia Commercial Real Estate – 2017 Reverse Tax Appeals and 2018 Reassesment (May 19, 2017)
- Seminar, Scorching Hot: An Overview of the Philadelphia Area Apartment Market (July 30, 2014)
- Roundtable Discussion Leader ICSC Shopping Center Law Conference (October 2013, October 2012, and October 2011)
- Seminar, "Letters of Intent," (September 2003)
- Seminar, "Shopping Center Lease Negotiations- A Tenant's Perspective," (March 1994)
- Seminar, Expense or Capitalize? What Real Estate Owners Really Need to Know about the New Tangible Property Tax Regulations (June 25, 2014)
- Roundtable Discussion Leader for ICSC, Five Things Every Tenant Should Know About Insurance, ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference (October 16, 2013)
- Roundtable Discussion Leader for ICSC, Tenants: Be Careful of These Gotchas in Shopping Center Leases, ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference (October 24, 2012)
- Roundtable Discussion Leader for ICSC, Letters of Intent can be Binding and Enforceable: Careful Drafting Considerations in light of the recent Federal Realty Case, ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference (October 27, 2011)
- Named one of the Top 100 "Super Lawyers" in PA for 2015, in addition to being listed as a PA "Super Lawyer" in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 by Thomson Reuters, publishers of Pennsylvania Super Lawyer
- Rated AV® Preeminent, 5.0 out of 5.0, by Martindale-Hubbell. According to the ratings feedback submitted by other lawyers and judges, Mr. Davis was described as:
- "A superb lawyer in all respects. Robert is the definition of professional."
- "An attorney of high intelligence, integrity and knowledge. He handles complex real estate issues with great skill."
- "An exceptional attorney and recognized by those who have worked with him as the epitome of a lawyer's lawyer."
- Featured in ABA Journal's "Lawyer's Giving Back" article for spearheading a team of law firm volunteers to help construct a playground at the recently renovated Shane Victorino Boys and Girls Club in Philadelphia.