Mikhail “Misha” PaltiyevichMikhail “Misha” Paltiyevich Clark Hill
Mikhail “Misha” Paltiyevich
Misha Paltiyevich assists clients in all phases of litigation in both state and federal trial courts. His primary areas of practice are maritime, construction, and commercial litigation. He specializes in defending vessel owners and operators from claims arising under the Jones Act, the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, and the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act, as well as from claims arising from vessel collisions and cargo damage.
Misha also has experience in advising clients in a wide variety of complex commercial litigation issues, including contract and business tort disputes, products liability, restrictive covenants, trade secrets, and construction defect actions.
Prior to joining Clark Hill Strasburger, Misha worked at a regional law firm focusing primarily in admiralty and commercial litigation and insurance coverage.
Misha is a member of our Emergency Maritime Response (“EMR”) Team.
- Successful defense of marine transportation companies and their offshore insurance carriers in personal injury/Jones Act litigation
- Successful defense of multiple personal injury claims arising out of failure to warn, slip and fall, industrial accident, trucking, and motor vehicle claims
- Substantial experience involving Limitation of Liability actions under 46 U.S.C. § 181, et seq., maritime attachment (Rule B), and vessel arrest (Rule C) actions
- Assists clients in responding to vessel collisions and allisions, maritime casualties, pollution incidents, and other shipboard and offshore emergency investigations
- Obtained Rule 12(b)(6)dismissal in favor of terminal operator on the basis of a §933(i) borrowed employee defense on longshoreman’s injury claim.
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court in favor of carrier on substantial Carmack Amendment claim
- Counsel on $500M merger of two global shipping lines; entailing the transfer of all relevant multi-purpose and heavy-lift assets and operating entities with worldwide offices into the joint venture
- Obtained permanent injunction in favor of a nationwide car rental agency against franchisee involving a trademark infringement and breach of contract claim
- Draft terms and conditions of ticket contract for luxury cruise liner
- Obtained significant settlement of a non-compete claim for regional physicians’ practice
Misha is part of the Hague Convention Attorney Network, an all-volunteer national attorney network maintained by the U.S. Department of State which assists in the civil aspects of international child abduction. Network attorneys represent applicant-parents in incoming Hague Convention return and access cases in the United States on a pro bono or reduced fee basis.
Misha is also the director and a coach of the University of Houston Law Center’s John R. Brown Admiralty Moot Court Team.