Michael J. Fritz
Michael Fritz practices in the areas of business, corporate, and commercial real estate. He concentrates his practice on commercial real estate capital market transactions and general business counseling. Michael regularly advises national and multinational clients in the commercial real estate, healthcare, financial services, and manufacturing industries.
Michael provides tailored and practical advice, addressing his client’s specific needs and sensitivities. A large part of Michael’s practice is dedicated to representing developers, sponsors, investors, and other capital market participants. Michael regularly handles the acquisition, development, and disposition of commercial real estate assets, mortgage, and mezzanine financings preferred equity investments, and the structuring of joint ventures. In his joint venture practice, Michael focuses on helping his commercial real estate clients structure joint ventures for both single-asset and programmatic real estate investment strategies.
Michael’s clients also rely on him to provide advice and counsel in a broad range of commercial matters, including financings, mergers, acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, distressed investments, and private placements. He understands the complexities of his client’s businesses and provides a pragmatic approach to providing legal services with efficient execution.
By consistently providing effective, high-quality service, Michael has nurtured and developed long-term relationships with the clients he represents. Michael understands the value of providing practical, effective, and personal legal advice and strives to create long-term partnerships with his clients. As a result, he often serves as outside general counsel for many of his clients, advising on matters such as corporate governance, business operations, commercial contracting, and other general corporate matters.
American Bar Association
Connecticut Bar Association
State Bar Licenses
Select Representative Transactions
Commercial Real Estate Experience
- Representation of student housing developer in connection with the establishment of a national programmatic student housing joint venture platform.
- Representation of New York City developer in connection with debt and joint venture transactions related to multiple midtown Manhattan mixed-use tower developments.
- Representation of New York City developer in connection with the debt and joint venture transactions related to the $450 million acquisition and structured financing of an iconic midtown office building.
- Representation of developer/sponsor in connection with all debt and equity matters relating to multiple multifamily ground up construction projects in Boston and the greater Boston area.
- Representation of developer/sponsor in connection with all debt and equity matters relating to multiple multifamily ground up construction projects and asset repositioning transactions in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Representation of developer in connection with preferred equity and construction financing relating to two multi-family construction projects in Fairfield County, Connecticut.
- Representation of real estate developer in connection with the closing of a single-asset fund relating to the acquisition of a multifamily project in New Jersey.
- Representation developer/sponsor in connection with the formation and closing of a single-asset fund, and joint venture matter with respect to a multifamily project located in Denver, Colorado.
- Representation of real estate debt funds in connection with preferred equity and joint venture investments across the nation in various asset classes.
Corporate Matters Related To Commercial Real Estate
- Representation of indoor soccer facility developer and operator in connection with a joint venture with the investment arm of an international football/soccer organization.
- Representation of management of regional outdoor adventure park company in connection with management buy-out of existing ownership.
- Representation of international family office in connection with multiple investments in commercial real estate joint ventures across the United States.
- Representation of real estate-based registered investment advisor in connection with corporate spinout from larger registered investment advisor group and establishment of independent management company.
- Representation of commercial real estate developer as outside general counsel advising on corporate structure, governance, and debt for developer’s parent company, property management company, and development company.
- Representation of U.K.-based private equity fund in connection with acquisition of U.S.-based pharmaceutical data analytics company.
- Representation of investment arm of Middle Eastern bank in connection investment in a U.S.-based venture capital funds.
- Representation of various borrowers and lenders in connection with commercial finance transactions, including term and revolving credit facilities, syndicated credit facilities, second lien/mezzanine loans, and asset-based loans.
- Representation of various family-owned businesses in connection with disposition of family-owned businesses in industries such as financial services, logistics, manufacturing, surgical supply, and transportation.