Michael M. GeoffreyMichael Geoffrey Clark Hill
Michael M. Geoffrey
Michael M. Geoffrey is Of Counsel to Clark Hill’s Intellectual Property Practice Group. He has extensive experience as both in-house and outside counsel in all aspects of intellectual property practice. His litigation experience includes patent, trade secret, copyright and trademark matters, with a principal focus on patent litigation. His transactional experience focuses on counseling clients in the development of strategies for intellectual property asset acquisition and value extraction, including purchase, sale and licensing of intellectual property, relevancy assessment (patentability; clearance; design around), IP landscape assessment, and IP protection strategies. Michael has developed and managed trade secret protection programs for clients, including the protection of trade secrets in a China-based joint venture.
Michael is a scientist and inventor with over 20 years of technical experience working in the Chemical industry.
Honors & Awards
Illinois Leading Lawyer in Intellectual Property and Trade Secrets/Unfair Competition Law (2014 and 2015)
Fellow, National Knowledge and Intellectual Property Management Taskforce (2008)
- IP Counseling to companies practicing in the following areas: chemical, healthcare (hospitals, doctors, and other healthcare providers), dental products, services, packaging, mining, manufacturing, wireless products, university and retail. As Chief IP Counsel, was responsible for all IP matters of the corporation and its subsidiaries for a Fortune 500 manufacturer of building materials.
- Litigation Patent, trade secret, trademark and copyright litigation, including practice before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board on Inter Partes Reviews.
- Trade Secrets Management including the development of trade secret protection plans. Developed IP management and protection plan for China joint venture relying on U.S. choice of law and surety bond, among other measures, to protect IP.
- IP Audits for companies practicing in the following areas: chemical, manufacturing and healthcare.
- License and other agreements for companies practicing in the following areas: chemical, healthcare, services, packaging, mining, manufacturing, wireless products, software and retail.
- Patent relevancy assessments including numerous patent clearance and patentability opinions.
- Patent prosecution in the following art areas: chemical, mechanical, software, medical, and business method inventions.
- Trademark prosecution.