Matthew A. Goldstein
Matthew A. Goldstein helps clients manage risks arising in international transactions that involve hardware, software, technology, and services subject to the US Export Administration Regulations (EAR), International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations, and other federal regulatory controls.
Matthew consults on Foreign Direct Investment, Direct Commercial Sales, reexports of Foreign Military Sales Program hardware, arms brokering, and other activities regulated by the Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), Department of State Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), and the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS).
Matthew’s experience includes trade control risk assessments, internal investigations, voluntary disclosures, consent agreement compliance management, preparation of agency submissions, and implementation of customized trade compliance programs that exceed government standards.
Member, Customs and International Trade Bar Association
Member, Society for International Affairs
Member, International Police Association
Former Member, U.S. Department of Commerce, Arizona District Export Council
Former Member, National Defense Industrial Association, Southwest Chapter Board of Directors
Former Member, U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Political-Military Affairs, Defense Trade Advisory Group
Former Member, U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security, Materials Technical Advisory Committee
Former Member, American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Task Force on Integration of Vienna Convention Consular Notification Requirements
Former Steering Committee, American Bar Association, Section of International Law, Export Controls and Economic Sanctions Committee
Former Chair, American Bar Association, Litigation Section, International Human Rights Award Committee
State Bar Licenses
- Advised foreign companies on determining US export control jurisdiction over foreign manufactured products that incorporate US-origin hardware, software, and technology.
- Advised participants in private-public partnerships on export compliance for government sponsored fundamental research.
- Advised international arms brokers on authorizations to facilitate exports and services in support of Direct Commercial Sales and the Department of Defense Foreign Military Sales program.
- Assisted small, medium, and large enterprises in exports of military and dual-use items to Africa, Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe, South America, and the Middle East.
- Advised cyber security software companies on exports of software and technical assistance to foreign persons and foreign government agencies.
- Advised federally funded research and development centers engaged in international cooperative agreements for the exchange and development of export-controlled technologies
- Developed international trade compliance programs for private companies engaged in the development and production of dual use and military items.
- Developed, implemented, and maintained international trade compliance data analytics systems used by Fortune 500 companies in preparing reports to senior management, stockholders, and government agencies.
- Served as an export controls subject matter expert for federal agency component compliance, made recommendations for agency positions in regulatory rulemaking, and assisted in White House and Department of Defense meetings on export control reform list revisions.
- Litigated federal court claims challenging the constitutionality of Department of State administration of the International Traffic and Arms Regulations under the Arms Export Control Act.
- Advised US and foreign clients on CFIUS and international trade controls due diligence, declaration, and notice requirements for foreign acquisitions of US companies in aerospace, defense, software, and other industries.
- Co-Author, “Report takes look at expanded national security review process into foreign investments in U.S. businesses,” September 2021
- Co-Author, “New Export Controls on Cybersecurity Tools,” Cybersecurity Magazine, October 2021
- Author, “ITAR-at-Home: State Department Considers Permanent Remote Work Provisions, Export Compliance Manager,” Export Compliance Manager, Issue 12, April 2021
- Author, “Next Generation Compliance Programs Integrate Export Controls and Government Contract Information Security Controls,” WorldECR, Issue 92, September 2020
- Co-Author, “Seven DDTC Licensing Trends to Inform Your Defence Export Strategy,” WorldECR, Issue 83, October 2019
- Co-Author, “Export Control Pitfalls for Chinese Companies Winding Down United States Operations,” DHH Law Firm Social Media, August 2019
- Author, “Addressing Congressional Notification Requirements: Best Practices,” WorldECR, Issue 71, August 2018
- Author, “Export Controls Compliance: The often-overlooked billion-dollar risk,” Compliance & Ethics Professional Magazine, Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics, July 2017
- Author, “Status and Adverse Consequences of U.S. Export Control Reform,” Thomson Reuters Practical Trade & Customs Strategies, Volume 3, Number 6, June 2014
- Author, “United States Trade with North Korea: The Sanctions, Recent Transactions, and Contradictions,” WorldECR, Issue 25, September 2013
- Editor and Co-Author, “International Legal Developments in Review: 2012: Export Controls & Economic Sanctions,” The International Lawyer, American Bar Association, Volume 47, Spring 2013
- Author, “Department of State Confirms Prior Approval Requirement for Electronic Exports to Public Domain in Case of 3D-Printable Gun,” Thomson Reuters Practical Trade & Customs Strategies, Volume 2, Number 11, June 2013
- Author, “An Election Eve Perspective on Export Control Reform: Where it is and a Forecast of Things to Come,” WorldECR, Issue 17, November 2012
- Editor and Co-Author, “International Legal Developments in Review: 2011: Export Controls and Economic Sanctions,” The International Lawyer, American Bar Association, Volume 46, Number 1, Spring 2012
- Author, “Transmitting Private Sector Technical Data into the Public Domain under the ITAR,” Kluwer Global Trade and Customs Journal, Issue 6-10, October 2011
- Author, “Eight Steps to Export Controls Compliance,” GlobalTrade.net, Web., July 2011
- Author, “Hecho en Cuba, Prohibido en America: The United States War on the Communist Cigar,” Smoke Magazine, Issue 1, 2011
- Co-author, “Does Your Human Resources Screen for Export Control and Economic Sanctions Violations? They Should!” The Practical Lawyer, American Law Institute | American Bar Association, April 2008
- Co-author, “Working Successfully with ITAR in U.S. Canadian Defence Industry Technology Transfers,” Government of Quebec, February 2008
- Co-author, “Homeland Security Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards Are Now in Effect; What Tier is Your Facility?” Homeland Defense Journal, Volume 5, Issue 11, November 2007
- Author, “Consider Export Controls and Foreign Transactions and Practices Regulations in Merger, Acquisition, and Divestiture Activities,” American Bar Association Section on Business Young Lawyers’ Forum eNewsletter, June 2007
- Author, “Government Restrictions on International Travel With Your Laptop,” Tucson Business Edge, January 2007
- Author, “How Do Export Controls Affect Your Legal Practice?” The Writ, Pima County Bar Association, December 2006
- Author, “Reducing Your Company’s Exposure to Terrorism Related Claims,” Homeland Defense Journal, Volume 4, Issue 12, December 2006
- Author, “Are U.S. Economic Sanctions Your Business Risk?” Inside Tucson Business, August 2006
- Export Control Fundamentals, University of Arizona Center for Innovation and the U.S. Department of Commerce Commercial Service, 2019
- The Arms Export Control Act and Gun Owners, Gun Rights Policy Conference, Second Amendment Foundation, 2018
- Beyond the Lord of War: Arms Brokering under ITAR Part 129, Export Compliance Training Institute, 2017
- Fundamental Research Legal, Funder, and University Perspectives, University Export Controls Seminar Program hosted by the Export Compliance Institute at Ohio State University, 2016
- Navigating the Challenges of U.S. Export Controls, Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics, 2016
- Post-Export Control Reform Commodity Jurisdiction: New Rules of the Game, Export Compliance Training Institute, 2015
- Beyond Fundamentals of the Fundamental Research Exclusion, Export Compliance Training Institute, 2015
- Export Control Law & Reform Threats to Research and Publication, Arizona Optics Industry Association, 2015
- Do You Know Your Customer? Strategies to Avoid Costly Fines When Doing Business Abroad, Knowledge Congress, 2013
- Export Controls, Embargoes, and Economic Sanctions, Thunderbird School of Global Management, Glendale, Arizona, 2008
- Ethics in International Trade, Arizona State Bar Convention, Tucson, Arizona, 2008
- Export Controls on U.S./U.K. Aerospace Arrangements, Arizona Department of Commerce, Phoenix, Arizona, 2007
- Panel Moderator, Industry Best Practices in Successfully Navigating the ITAR Minefield, Arizona District Export Council, Scottsdale, Arizona, 2007
- Export Controls on Nanotechnology, Second Annual Arizona Nanotechnology Symposium, Scottsdale, Arizona, 2007
- Export Controls and Economic Sanctions Primer, Southern Arizona Technology Cluster, University of Arizona College of Optical Sciences, Tucson, Arizona, 2007