Karen M. FirstenbergKaren Firstenberg Clark Hill
Karen M. Firstenberg
Karen M. Firstenberg focuses her practice in the area of products liability, with an emphasis in pharmaceutical and medical device litigation. Karen represents manufacturers and distributors of medical devices and pharmaceutical products, successfully through trial and arbitration, including obtaining favorable jury verdicts in multi-million dollar product liability claims. In addition, Karen has represented manufacturers in multi-district litigation and in state coordinated proceedings throughout the United States. Karen has served as both national and local counsel in nationwide mass tort drug and device litigation in both state and federal courts. Her drug and device cases have involved robotic surgical devices used for minimally invasive surgery, pain pumps, cold therapy devices, dermal fillers, contact lens disinfecting solutions, circumcision clamps, anti-wrinkle/anti-aging cream, ligation clips, laser sheaths, prosthetic devices (including knees and hips), intra-operative warming devices, lasers, neurostimulators, orthopedic implants and other surgical equipment and pharmaceutical products. Karen has also represented manufacturers, component part suppliers and bulk material supplies in cases involving commercial products, including food products. Her practice also includes regulatory compliance, including FDA audit reports, responding to FOIA requests and ensuring compliance with adverse event reporting. Karen has successfully defended toxic tort litigation and has represented the interests of international corporations, including those from Scotland, South Africa and Israel. Karen recognizes that her clients want the quickest and most effective strategy to efficiently resolve the litigation and aggressively identifies and implements a workable strategy to achieve those objectives.
Karen grew up in the suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio. She currently lives in Los Angeles with her husband, two children and family dog, Golda. Karen loves to cook, specializing in fresh pasta with rosemary and lemon, which she learned while traveling in Tuscany.
- Author, "Sales Representatives: Greatest Asset or Biggest Liability?" American Bar Association, February 27, 2016
- Co-author, "Perspectives on Training and Monitoring a Pharmaceutical and/or Medical Device Sales Force"
- Speaker/Author, "Overview and Update – Reporting Requirements for Attorneys, Insurers and Self-Insureds Under the Medicare Recovery Act," DRI Annual Meeting
- Consultant, Neighbor Disputes: Law and Litigation Treatise (published by Continuing Education of the Bar, 2013)
- Chapter 18: “Defenses and Cross – Complaints”