John K. Round
John Round advises clients on all phases of estate planning, probate, and trust law by preparing wills and trusts, marital property agreements, and tax-exempt entities, and handling probate and trust litigation matters. He also assists with estate and business planning for closely-held businesses.
John’s practice involves the preparation of wills and trusts, marital deduction trusts, life insurance trusts, minor’s trusts, charitable trusts, private foundations, tax-exempt entities, gift planning, marital property agreements, and estate and business planning for closely-held businesses including Family Limited Partnerships.
John is a Co-Leader of the firm’s Tax and Estate Planning practice group. He is also active in estate, trust and fiduciary administration practices including probate and trust litigation, litigation practice involving fiduciary duties and responsibilities, probate and trust administration, gift tax return preparation, estate and inheritance tax return preparation, and gift and estate tax audit and litigation.
John is Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and a and a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel.
John is a frequent speaker before professional groups such as:
- Strasburger’s Tax Symposium
- the AICPA Practitioners Symposium
- the Advanced Estate Planning and Probate Course for the State Bar of Texas
- the Advanced Drafting: Estate Planning and Probate Course for the State Bar of Texas
- the Advanced Estate Planning Strategies Workshop for the State Bar of Texas
- the Dallas Bar Association’s Tax Section
- the Southwestern Legal Foundation Wills and Probate Institute
- the Dallas Estate Planning Council
- the San Antonio Estate Planners Council
- PESI Trust Courses and Estate Planning Courses
- the Advanced Estate and Financial Planning Conference of the Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- The Center for American and International Law – Short Course on Estate Planning
“Lawyer of the Year,” Litigation – Trusts and Estates – Dallas, Texas, Best Lawyers in America (2021)
Best Lawyers in America, Litigation – Trusts and Estates, Tax Law, Trusts and Estates, Best Lawyers (2010-2021)
D Magazine Best Lawyer, Best Lawyers (2013-present)
Texas Super Lawyer (2003-present)
Five Star Wealth Manager, Texas Monthly (2011-present)
American Cancer Society – Texas Division, Director (1997-2016), Income & Development Committee, Former Chair, Legacy & Planned Giving Committee, Former Chair
American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
Dallas Bar Association, Probate, Trusts, and Estates Section, Former Council Member
Dallas Foundation, Advisory Board Member
Make-A-Wish Foundation of America, Director (2004-2010)
Make-A-Wish Foundation of North Texas, Member
SMU CFP Program, Instructor of Estate Planning
Southwestern Medical Foundation Estate Planning Council, Member
State Bar of Texas, Trust Code Committee, Former Member
State Bar Licenses
- Advised clients on all phases of estate planning and the preparation of wills and trusts.
- Counseled clients on premarital, postmarital, separate property and community property agreements.
- Assisted client in issues involving separate and community property, including tracing for divorce and estate cases.
- Designed and implemented family limited partnerships.
- Represented business owners with buy-sell agreements and nonqualified benefit arrangements.
- Organized/counseled clients regarding various types of business entities.
- Assisted clients in various U.S. asset and stock purchases/sales.
- Counseled physicians, attorneys and CPAs in purchases/sales of professional practices.
- Negotiated various employment and management contracts.
- Organized/counseled clients regarding tax exempt charities.
- Represented clients in numerous Texas probates.
- Represented executors and trustees in estate and trust controversies, fiduciary duties and analysis and interpretation of trust documents.
- Represented clients in will contests and probate, trust, partnership and corporate litigation/mediations.
- Advised management and shareholder in business disputes.
- Counseled directors on corporate governance and fiduciary duties.
- Represented limited partners in disputes with general partners and general partners in disputes with limited partner.
- Represented taxpayers in gift, estate and income tax audits and appeals.
- Represented taxpayers in tax court litigation.
- Represented taxpayers in tax refund litigation.
- Advised clients on and the preparation of special needs trusts and related documents.