Jeffrey J. LorekJeffrey Lorek Clark Hill
Jeffrey J. Lorek
Jeffrey J. Lorek advises and represents clients in commercial and contract disputes, trade secrets, employment and compensation issues, discrimination, workplace harassment and hostile work environment issues, regulatory compliance, national security and military affairs and more.
Jeff represents clients in the banking, manufacturing, and defense industries on all types of disputes and litigation. He has significant commercial litigation and unique labor and employment, as well as national defense-specific, experience. His military officer background enables him to calmly untangle complex problems and develop different options and courses of action for his clients. Jeff routinely counsels both individual and corporate clients on employment-related issues and government investigations.
Immediately prior to joining Clark Hill, Jeff was Special Counsel in the Employment Litigation Group at a Global 20 law firm in Washington, DC. Jeff also previously served as Chief of Employment Litigation at Headquarters, U.S. Air Force, leading a team that defended the Air Force in hundreds of litigation matters worldwide. Additionally, he is former Deputy Chief of the Air Force’s Labor Relations Branch where he defended the Air Force in traditional labor matters, such as unfair labor practice charges, collective bargaining issues, and grievances. Jeff designed the Air Force's guide to security clearance-related adverse actions and has authored numerous labor and employment articles, including A Doctor’s Guide to Reasonable Accommodation Requests under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
As a former active duty Air Force JAG and prosecutor, Jeff took to trial 33 criminal courts-martial and administrative discharge boards. He has substantial trial experience prosecuting complex sex crimes, aggravated assaults and financial crimes. Jeff is a decorated veteran of foreign wars, having deployed overseas three times in support of combat operations during the global war on terror. Jeff continues to serve our Nation as the Deputy Staff Judge Advocate at an Air National Guard fighter wing.
- Defended national bank in financial services litigation, including breach of loan agreement claims, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) claims, and Homeowners Protection Act (HPA) issues
- Represented tax consulting services firm in breach of contract and business tort claims against former independent contractors of the firm.
- Defended a large government contractor in an OFCCP enforcement action and counseled other contractors undergoing OFCCP compliance reviews/audits.
- Obtained reinstatement for long-time federal employee at a Department of Defense intelligence agency following appeal of unlawful and discriminatory removal action.
- Favorably resolved an IP license dispute and restrictive covenant/trade secrets issues on behalf of a large hedge fund administrator.
- Represented a bank against allegations of age discrimination in arbitration before FINRA.
- Advised a private equity fund on state labor law and breach of contract claims stemming from LLC members' disputes over distributions and compensation.
- Obtained emergency injunctive relief and favorable settlement for an advertising company against a former employee in a trade secrets and restrictive covenant case.
- Represented an international bank in connection with a reduction in force (RIF) and allegations of gender and pregnancy discrimination
- Guided Fortune 50 technology company through a Department of Labor USERRA discrimination investigation in connection with a RIF.
- Navigated clients through novel issues surrounding emotional support animals (ESAs) and service animals as reasonable accommodations in the workplace.
- Represented a homeless shelter in a D.C. Office of Human Rights investigation surrounding a complaint of national origin discrimination as a pro bono case.
- Represented a German tire press manufacturer and its American subsidiary in a trade secret misappropriation suit in federal court.
- Defended lenders in Fair Credit Reporting Act litigation and other allegations of consumer protection law violations.
- Helped a trial team obtain a complete defense judgment for an oil company following a 16-week, $500 million benzene contamination class action trial in Kansas.
- Represented an Ohio municipality in bringing an action against a general contractor for a defectively constructed wastewater treatment facility.
- Fought on behalf of a pharmaceutical company to protect the client's IP rights in a drug during an adversary proceeding in federal bankruptcy court in California.
- Obtained a complete defense judgment on a $3 million breach of contract claim against a bank client in a federal bankruptcy court adversary proceeding.
- Upheld the Air Force's use of employment-contingent physical agility tests for civilian police officers around the country, prevailing in both the Fraternal Order of Police union's challenge of the tests as an unfair labor practice and in individual employee lawsuits premised upon alleged disability discrimination and failure to accommodate.
- Represented clients in dozens of EEOC discrimination cases and MSPB adverse action appeals, including prevailing at hearings concerning same.