James P. ThomasJames Thomas Clark Hill
James P. Thomas
James Thomas supports employers during collective bargaining and advises them with efforts to maintain a union-free environment. He also assists with employee discipline and termination issues in addition to grievance and arbitration procedures.
He routinely acts as an employer’s advocate in labor arbitration cases and in proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board and the Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board.
- Obtaining summary dismissal in an action brought by a retired employee seeking lifetime medical benefits under a collective bargaining agreement;
- Obtaining summary dismissal of an unfair labor practice charge against a large automotive glass manufacturer wherein the union alleged that the employer unlawfully refused to recognize the union;
- Successfully defending an employer in the railroad locomotive industry against several unfair labor practice charges brought by a former employee who claimed that his employment was terminated in retaliation for union organizing efforts;
- Negotiating the merger of bargaining units and consolidation of facilities with the United Steelworkers;
- Negotiating a first contract with the United Steelworkers for a national English as a second language educational institution;
- Negotiating a phase-out agreement with the United Steelworkers in connection with the transfer of manufacturing operations to an out-of-state facility;
- Successfully defending a manufacturing client in an arbitration proceeding filed by the Teamsters claiming a violation of recall rights;
- Successfully defending a local ambulance company with respect to unfair labor practice charges claiming retaliation for engaging in union activities;
- Negotiating the phase-out and elimination of trucking operations for a manufacturing client with Teamsters;
- Obtaining a favorable decision from the Third Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of a client seeking to be indemnified by a union for withdrawal liability under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement;
- Obtaining a mass picketing injunction for a manufacturing client in Ohio;
- Successfully guiding an organized client through RM petition proceedings ultimately leading to the union filing a disclaimer of interest;
- Successfully defending a client in a contracting-out arbitration case.