Ellisse S. ThompsonEllisse Thompson Clark Hill
Ellisse S. Thompson
Ellisse S. Thompson is an associate attorney in the Litigation Practice Group of Clark Hill’s Birmingham office. Ellisse is an experienced litigator who focuses her practice in the area of product liability and specializes in defending manufacturers of hunting, outdoor, and recreational products, which include treestands, guns, bows, crossbows, arrows, and safety harnesses.
Prior to joining the firm, Ellisse gained experience working at one of Michigan’s largest law firms where her practice concentrated on premises and retail liability, product liability, motor vehicle no-fault liability, and motor vehicle negligence. She also served as an Assistant City Attorney for the City of Northville where she prosecuted misdemeanor and ordinance violations in the 52nd District Court. In addition, Ellisse worked as a judicial intern for the Honorable Nancy G. Edmunds at the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
When she is not practicing law, Ellisse enjoys boating and shooting with her husband at their favorite gun range. In addition, she is an active member of the Louisa St. Clair Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Representative Client Work
- In a premises liability matter on behalf of a major retailer, successfully drafted and argued a dispositive motion asserting that plaintiff’s failure to disclose a potential cause of action in her personal bankruptcy proceedings precluded standing to bring the lawsuit.
- Successfully represented an interested party in a contested guardianship proceeding involving an adult ward of the state, resulting in visitation rights being granted and positioning the client for potential full guardianship.
- Assisted in defending a high exposure jail suicide case with responsibility for researching issues related to a successful motion for summary judgment including denial of medical treatment, failure to train, gross negligence, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
- Assisted in the defense of a complex contractual indemnity claim by drafting a motion for partial summary disposition that ultimately helped resolve the matter for a nominal amount
- Defended indigent clients in foreclosure proceedings.
- Successfully defended a prisoner’s lawsuit by drafting a motion to dismiss and/or motion for summary judgment regarding failure to exhaust administrative remedies and failure to establish an Eighth Amendment violation.