Colleen E. McCartyColleen McCarty Clark Hill
Colleen E. McCarty
An award-winning investigative reporter before beginning her law career, Colleen McCarty is an attorney based in Las Vegas. Colleen currently represents clients in complex civil litigation cases, with an emphasis in commercial and media law, labor and employment matters at both the Federal and State level, and matters involving First Amendment and civil rights protection. Colleen has also represented clients before professional licensing boards, litigated successfully for her clients in both jury and bench trials in Nevada’s Eighth Judicial District Court, and enjoyed extensive motion practice experience before the Nevada Supreme Court, as well as multiple Federal District Court and Circuit Court jurisdictions.
Colleen began her legal career with the law firm of Gordon Silver, following her graduation from the William S. Boyd School of Law, cum laude, in 2013. In addition to her current practice areas, Colleen also handled criminal defense matters in all Nevada jurisdictions as an associate with the law firm of Gentile Cristalli Miller Armeni Savarese.
Colleen is also known for her lengthy tenure as part of the award-winning I-Team at the Las Vegas CBS affiliate, KLAS-TV. Her investigations helped put criminals behind bars, expose public corruption, and prompt change at governmental agencies at the national, state and local levels. Her work on “Desert Underwater,” a comprehensive examination of the housing crisis in Southern Nevada, was honored with the broadcast equivalent of the Pulitzer Prize, the duPont-Columbia Award, as well as the prestigious Peabody Award for Broadcast Excellence and the Society of Professional Journalists Sigma Delta Chi Award.
Colleen currently serves as the Co-Chair of Clark Hill BOLD - Las Vegas, the firm's strategy to promote women within the firm, the legal profession, and the business community.
Colleen is the mother of twin daughters, who were born while she was covering the 2005 Legislative Session in Carson City for KLAS-TV.
Publications and Presentations:
- Authored, "Public Records, Private Devices: The Nevada Public Records Act Enters the Digital Age," Nevada Lawyer, November 2018
- Quoted, "Republican AG group files lawsuit seeking police footage of interaction with Democratic candidate Aaron Ford and his child," The Nevada Independent, September 6, 2018
- Authored, "I'm In Handcuffs; How Can It Be Civil Contempt?" Nevada Lawyer, January 2018
- Featured in, "Bundy Ranch Standoff Case Ends in Mistrial," KTNV 13 Action News, December 20, 2017
- Mentioned in, "Who will prevail in Glen Lerner versus the State Bar of Nevada?" Las Vegas Review-Journal, May 31, 2017
- Mentioned in, "Handcuffed public defender wants contempt charge thrown out," Las Vegas Review-Journal, July 14, 2016
- Featured In, "Las Vegas Metro Body Cams", 8 News Now, September 29, 2015
- Mentioned in, "Judge won’t let puppy shop arsonist leave prison to deliver baby," Las Vegas Review-Journal, August 6, 2015
- Mentioned in, "Pregnant Nevada Inmate Wants Out To Give Birth" CBS Las Vegas, August 6, 2015
- Mentioned in, "Nevada judge denies prison furlough to pregnant inmate convicted of torching puppy store", The Washington Times, August 6, 2015
- "Colleen McCarty Chooses Law Over TV," TVSpy, July 8, 2013
- Panelist, "New Media" Program, Nevada Federal Courts Media Conference, 2008