Cedric T. ChouCedric Chou Clark Hill
Cedric T. Chou
Cedric Chou is Senior Counsel in Clark Hill's Corporate practice group. Cedric has had a distinguished career as an attorney and has been highly regarded internationally as an advisor, writer and thought leader to cross border business strategy and public affairs. He is leading the firm’s U.S.-Greater China relationship and practice by assisting clients in sectors such as healthcare, high-tech, real estate, media and entertainment, and energy as well as matters concerning high net-worth individuals. During the course of his career, Cedric has assisted clients in matters in the aggregate of more than US$2.5 billion. His California, national as well as global experiences are diverse, sophisticated and solution-oriented.
Prior to joining Clark Hill, Cedric was a managing director/head of Asia strategy with, and in-house counsel to, a fund headquartered in Boston. Previously, Cedric was a member at a leading international law firm and later on, the China practice head in Los Angeles at another major international law firm.
Cedric brings in his extensive relationships and corporate expertise to a prestigious practice. He is familiar with big and middle-market players in six major cities in Greater China and in the U.S., ranging from leading high-tech corporations in the world, government-backed and state-owned conglomerates and funds, private equity funds, prestigious state-owned enterprises, publicly and privately held companies and various leading family offices. In investment and finance, Cedric’s experience ranges from general corporate, banking, venture capital investment, merger and acquisition to initial public offering.
His experience working in Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Shenzhen and Taipei, in addition to California, allows him to bring to the table a greater understanding of Pacific Rim legal, business, government affairs and cultural issues. As such, he had helped establish the Hong Kong office of a major Wall Street law firm and successfully assisted in developing its Greater China strategy. He has assisted Fortune 500 companies investing in China and has assisted Hong Kong, Taiwanese and Chinese companies in a wide range of U.S. matters.
Cedric taught as visiting professor at two of the most prestigious schools in China: the Guanghua School of Management at Peking University and the School of Law at Fudan University. Students and colleagues, who are now holding mid-to-senior positions in various sectors, love him and are still closely in touch.
Cedric's grandfather and granduncle were active in diplomacy and politics during their lifetimes, being congressman, ambassador to Canada, to Mexico and/or representative to the United Nations. His granduncle, being a Ph.D. of Columbia University and formerly a professor of Tsinghua University, published authoritative English translations of Chinese classics.
Cedric published in 1998 in Taipei and 1999 in Beijing a critically-acclaimed seminal book on the rule of law, “A Virtual Dialogue between Socrates and Mencius.”
- Representation of a Boston-based healthcare hedge and PE fund, in its Asia expansions in connection with various joint ventures and SPVs with counterparts in Greater China including one of the largest venture capital firms in China and a leading medical device firm.
- Representation of a middle-market CPA firm in Los Angeles in its expansion into Hong Kong and China.
- Representation of a Taiwanese commercial bank, as creditor, on its US$80 million claims in factored accounts receivable against US big retailers as well as a bankruptcy debtor in California.
- Representation of California high-tech corporations such as Gtran, G-Plus and Maven Optronics in venture capital financing.
- Representation of Beijing/Taiwan investments into a California bioscience incubator.
- Representation of a Florida OTC company for its acquisition of Shanghai/Hong Kong trading and global sourcing companies.
- Representation of a consortium of Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and US real estate developers and investors in proposed acquisitions of Southern California properties and/or property development in conjunction with EB-5 investor visa immigration programs.
- Representation of Fuqi, a Chinese company then publicly listed on the Nasdaq, on financial restatement, class action and derivative action issues.
- Representation of Shanghai Yongpu on its reverse merger transaction with a California corporation.
- Representation of a major Wall Street securities firm on various securities offerings in IPO, GDR and ECB as well as Korean banking commercial paper transactions, including the first filing at the SEC a registration statement by a Taiwanese company.
- Representation of high net-worth Taiwanese/Chinese client, the Chairman of a leading Internet company, regarding insider trading investigation by the SEC.
- Representation of a Chinese renewable energy investor in its settlement of disputes in a project in New Mexico.
- Representation of a Chinese renewable energy company in its investment in wind projects in Southern California.
- Representation of Apex Wind Energy in connection with its portfolio of wind projects throughout the U.S. and its dealings with Chinese investors.
- Representation of NuCom on Citi Venture Capital’s US$40 million equity financing and restructuring of a PRC cable TV company.
- Representation of a Beijing film production company establishing presence in Los Angeles.
- Representation of a prestigious Taiwanese weekly magazine on its selling of shares and restructuring.
- Representation of CIT and a number of other U.S. companies, on the establishment of representative offices, wholly-owned subsidiaries or joint ventures in China as well as related matters.
- Representation of a real estate fund in its investment into projects with a public PRC property development company.
- Representation of Eastern Communications, a public PRC corporation, in its strategic alliance with a U.S. company.
- Representation of Bank of Taiwan on its establishment of a wholesale branch in Los Angeles.
- Representation of Bank of Taiwan, Taipei Bank together with two other Taipei-based banks in obtaining approval by Federal Reserve System of the U.S. of the banking comprehensive supervision issues of Taiwan, the first to meet the requirements under the Foreign Bank Supervision Enhancement Act of 1991.
- Representation of Bank of East Asia, Los Angeles Branch.
Awards and Recognitions
- Chinese American Professional Society, Certificate of Appreciation, July 31, 2016.
- Commonwealth Publishing Company, at its 30-year anniversary, recognized as a Leading Writer, 2012.
- Honored to receive recognition by the President of the Republic of China in Taipei, 2004.
- Southern California Monte Jade Science and Technology Association, Certificate, in appreciation of outstanding services, March 6, 2004.
- California State Assembly, Certificate of Recognition, in honor of the leadership and inspiration provided towards promoting new technology in business and community partnerships, February 7, 2003.
- California State Board of Equalization, Resolution, in honor for service and commitment to the Asian American community, February 7, 2003.
- Southern California Monte Jade Science and Technology Association, Award of Appreciation, Founding Ceremony, February 23, 2002.
- Author, "How to Interpret the First Chapter of 'Lao Zi,'" Ming Pao Monthly (Hong Kong, June 2017).
- Columnist, China Times, since 2016.
- Columnist, Globalview e-magazine, since 2014.
- Author, “CFIUS: A Unique Challenge for Chinese Energy Investors,” Overview of US Wind Energy Industry and Market, Chinese Wind Energy Association (Beijing: Central Party Literature Press, 2011).
- Author, "An Ideal State of Law: A Virtual Dialogue between Socrates and Mencius" Taipei: Commonwealth, 1998; Beijing: Commercial Press, 1999 (critically acclaimed and cited in law textbooks and journals and used for law and other courses, also widely acknowledged in all three parts of Greater China).
- Regular columnist or occasional contributor from 1999 to 2005 for China Youth Daily (Beijing) (weekly column in 2001), Global Views Monthly (Shanghai) (monthly column in 2002), Cai Jing Monthly (Beijing), China Times (Taipei) and Yazhou Zhoukan (Hong Kong).
- Editor, "Financial Market English-Chinese and Chinese-English Dictionary" (Beijing: San Lian, 2003).
- Speaker, “Lessons We Learn from Sany/Ralls CFIUS Experience,” US Forum: Doing Wind Business in North America, China Wind 2012.
- Moderator, US - China Wind Summit 2011: Building Strategic Cooperation.
- Co-Presenter, US ‑ China Wind Summit 2010: Building Strategic Cooperation.
- TV guest, KSCI, Los Angeles, frequently from 1999 to 2004.
- Panelist, The 20th Modern Engineering & Technology Seminar, Taiwan, 2004.
- Panelist, The 2004 Biennial Taiwan-USA Business Conference, 2004.
- Panelist, Cal State Northridge, Center for China Finance and Business Research, 2003.
- Speaker, Impact Roundtable, Century City, 2003.
- Speaker and Chair, Southern California Monte Jade Science and Technology Association, 2003 M&A Conference.
- Panelist, Industry City Manufacturers Council, 2002.
- Panelist, Southern California Monte Jade Science and Technology Association, 2002.
- Speaker, Shanghai Society of International Affairs, Shanghai, 2001.
- Speaker, Rand Corporation, 1999.
- By Chinese magazine Global Entrepreneurs in 2012 and 2013.
- By Los Angeles TV KSCI between 1999 and 2004.
- Chairman, UCLA Center for Chinese Studies, Advisory Council, 2017-2019
- Mentor, UCLA School of Law, 2015-2018
- Board Advisor, Music Festival Perugia, Italy, 2012-2014
- Board Member, Los Angeles Philanthropic Committee for the Arts, 2010
- Milestone Contributor of the Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles
- Advisory Board Member, Cal State Northridge, Center for China Finance and Business Research, 2002-2008
- Executive Board Director, Southern California Monte Jade Science & Technology Association, 2003-2004
- Conductor, Chamber Orchestra of Tzu-Chi Buddhist Philanthropy Foundation, 2004
- Host on behalf of Asia Society, welcoming luncheon in honor of Consul General Zhong Jianhua of China, November 2002