Cedric T. ChouCedric Chou Clark Hill
Cedric T. Chou
Cedric Chou counsels clients in corporate finance and cross-border matters and has represented both middle-market and Fortune-500 companies in local, national, and global matters. He has established on-site experiences in Hong Kong, Taipei, and mainland China.
He is leading the firm’s US-Asia relationship and practice by assisting clients in multiple sectors. During the course of his career, Cedric has assisted clients in matters in the aggregate of more than US$2.5 billion. His California, national as well as global experiences are diverse, sophisticated, and solution-oriented.
Prior to joining Clark Hill, Cedric was a managing director/head of Asia strategy with, and in-house counsel to, a fund headquartered in Boston. Previously, Cedric was a member at a leading international law firm and later on, the China practice head in Los Angeles at another major international law firm.
His experience working in Taipei, Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Shenzhen, in addition to California, allows him to bring to the table a greater understanding of Pacific Rim legal, business, government affairs, and cultural issues.
Cedric brings in his extensive relationships and corporate capabilities to a prestigious practice. He is familiar with big and middle-market players in six major cities in Asia and in the United States, ranging from leading high-tech corporations in the world, government-backed and state-owned conglomerates and funds, private equity funds, prestigious state-owned enterprises, publicly and privately held companies, and various leading family offices.
In investment and finance, Cedric’s experience ranges from general corporate, banking, venture capital investment, merger and acquisition to initial public offering.
He is experienced in sectors such as healthcare, high-tech, real estate, media and entertainment, and energy as well as matters concerning high net-worth individuals.
- Representation of a Boston-based healthcare hedge and PE fund, in its Asia expansions in connection with various joint ventures and SPVs with counterparts in Greater China including one of the largest venture capital firms in China and a leading medical device firm.
- Representation of a middle-market CPA firm in Los Angeles in its expansion into Hong Kong and China.
- Representation of a Taiwanese commercial bank, as creditor, on its US$80 million claims in factored accounts receivable against US big retailers as well as a bankruptcy debtor in California.
- Representation of California high-tech corporations such as Gtran, G-Plus, and Maven Optronics in venture capital financing.
- Representation of Beijing/Taiwan investments into a California bioscience incubator.
- Representation of a Florida OTC company for its acquisition of Shanghai/Hong Kong trading and global sourcing companies.
- Representation of a consortium of Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, and US real estate developers and investors in proposed acquisitions of Southern California properties and/or property development in conjunction with EB-5 investor visa immigration programs.
- Representation of a Chinese company then publicly listed on the Nasdaq, on financial restatement, class action, and derivative action issues.
- Representation of Shanghai Yongpu on its reverse merger transaction with a California corporation.
- Representation of a major Wall Street securities firm on various securities offerings in IPO, GDR, and ECB as well as Korean banking commercial paper transactions, including the first filing at the SEC a registration statement by a Taiwanese company.
- Representation of high net-worth Taiwanese/Chinese client, the Chairman of a leading Internet company, regarding insider trading investigation by the SEC.
- Representation of a Chinese renewable energy investor in its settlement of disputes in a project in New Mexico.
- Representation of a Chinese renewable energy company in its investment in wind projects in Southern California.
- Representation of Apex Wind Energy in connection with its portfolio of wind projects throughout the United States and its dealings with Chinese investors.
- Representation of NuCom on Citi Venture Capital’s US$40 million equity financing and restructuring of a PRC cable TV company.
- Representation of a Beijing film production company establishing a presence in Los Angeles.
- Representation of a prestigious Taiwanese weekly magazine on its selling of shares and restructuring.
- Representation of a number of US companies, on the establishment of representative offices, wholly-owned subsidiaries, or joint ventures in China as well as related matters.
- Representation of a real estate fund in its investment into projects with a public PRC property development company.
- Representation of several banks from Taiwan in obtaining approval by Federal Reserve System of the United States of the banking comprehensive supervision issues of Taiwan, the first to meet the requirements under the Foreign Bank Supervision Enhancement Act of 1991.
- Representation of several foreign banks in Los Angeles.