Carly O. Machasic
Carly O. Machasic supports employers in labor and employment law matters. She defends clients in discrimination, whistleblower, and harassment cases while counseling employers on collective bargaining issues and unfair labor practices.
Carly is an experienced litigator who defends employers against claims involving a wide range of employment-related issues, including discrimination, harassment, retaliation, whistleblowing, family/medical leave, and accommodating disabilities.
Carly is also experienced with traditional labor issues and frequently counsels and represents employers regarding the administration of collective bargaining agreements, unfair labor practices, and labor negotiations.
A large part of Carly’s practice is assisting employers with practical advice and solutions for day-to-day workplace issues.
Carly is the lead attorney for HR/Advantage, an innovative, client-centered compliance program powered by Clark Hill. Carly was an integral strategic partner in the program’s founding and continues to assist in developing the strategic vision and legal content for the program. To learn more about HR/Advantage, please visit: https://www.hr-aa.com/.
State Bar of Michigan – Labor & Employment Law Section
State Bar of Michigan – Character & Fitness Committee
Oakland County Bar Association
The Defense Research institute – Young Lawyers Committee
Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights – 2013 Michigan Voting Rights Project Committee
State Bar Licenses
- Routinely acting as first-chair counsel on federal and state court employment litigation matters, federal and state administrative agency charges and employment arbitrations.
- Obtaining dismissal on the pleadings in a failure to accommodate action under the Americans with Disabilities Act filed against a national health system and local hospital in federal district court.
- Obtaining summary dismissal in a wrongful termination action filed against a Tier 1 automaker in private arbitration.
- Obtaining voluntary dismissal with prejudice by a plaintiff in a Family and Medical Leave Act retaliation action filed against a national insurance company in federal district court.
- Obtained summary judgment on a sex discrimination claim filed against a national manufacturing corporation in federal district court.
- Representing both union and non-union clients in unfair labor practice charges at the National Labor Relations Board.
- Representing unionized clients in arbitration hearings on matters involving contract interpretation issues and employee discipline and terminations.
- Drafting and revising employee handbooks and policies to comply with the National Labor Relations Board decisions and guidance.
Practical and Strategic Advice and Counseling:
- Assisting employers with the administration of the Family and Medical Leave Act and requests for disability accommodations.
- Conducting sensitive and complex investigations arising from employee complaints regarding discrimination, harassment and hostile work environments, FMLA fraud, and workplace bullying.
- Creating and leading comprehensive management and human resources training on diversity issues, complex FMLA issues, discrimination and harassment, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and conducting internal investigations.
- Working with employers to identify and mitigate the potential risks associated with employee classifications under the Fair Labor Standards Act.