Brooks CastonBrooks Caston Clark Hill
Brooks Caston counsels clients on a variety of tax matters, including federal income taxation and state and local taxation.
Brooks regularly advises nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations on how best to protect their philanthropic efforts, including entity formation, tax-exempt status applications (Forms 1023 and 1024), and IRS information returns. He has experience representing nonprofits and tax-exempt organizations before the IRS and state taxing authorities.
Brooks often instructs companies, families and individuals on how to safeguard their legacies through estate planning and trusts strategies. His experience includes wills and trusts, probate, estate administration, marital deduction trusts, life insurance trusts, gift planning, and family limited partnerships.
Prior to joining Strasburger, Brooks served as a judicial intern for The Honorable Kerry Fitzgerald of the Texas Court of Appeals, Fifth District, as a judicial extern for The Honorable Elizabeth Lang-Miers of the Texas Court of Appeals, Fifth District, and as a public service intern at the Dallas City Attorney's Office, Community Prosecution Division.
- State Tax Update, Strasburger's Tax Symposium (November 2017)
- State Tax Update, Strasburger's Tax Symposium (November 2016)
- Portability Planning After Rev. Proc. 2016-49, Client Presentation (December 2016)
- Texas Margin Tax and Sales Tax Update, Strasburger's Tax Symposium (September 2015)
- The Silver Lining: Deferring Tax on Insurance Proceeds after Storms, Strasburger Tax Strategies (May 2016)
- Texas Oil & Gas Producers Should Consider Protective Refund Claims for Oil & Gas Downhole Production Equipment, Strasburger Energy, Oil & Gas Newsletter (May 2016)
- Spotlight on Problems With Form 1023-EZ Approval Rates and IRS Public Databases of Exempt Organizations, Family Foundation Advisor (March/April 2016)
- Co-author. Document Retention Policies - Why Are They Necessary?, Family Foundation Advisor (March/April 2015)