Brent Johnson has more than 20 years of finance, legal, and executive-level management experience at numerous small and mid-sized growth companies, law firms, and investment firms.
Brent has managed and executed more than $2 billion in capital raising, private equity, venture capital, and M&A transactions. He has managed multiple investment funds up to $65 million in assets under management. He routinely advises investors, fund managers, and companies regarding capital raising, structure, finance, and operations. Brent is also an advisor to numerous companies and investment funds in the cannabis industry. In his legal practice, Brent represents closely held and emerging growth companies through the whole business life cycle, including entity selection, formation, equity and debt financing transactions, acquisitions, and the eventual public offering or sale of the business. Brent also serves as outside general counsel to clients in support of their overall strategy, operations, capital raising, corporate governance, commercial transactions, contract drafting and negotiation, intellectual property, and general business matters.
Brent previously served as EVP, Managing Director, and General Counsel of First Capital Ventures, a leading capital advisory services provider, accelerator, and fund management firm. Prior to that, he was EVP, CFO & General Counsel for Atrium Capital Markets Group, where he was responsible for strategic planning, executive management, and compliance across multiple business units, including oversight of the firm’s $65 million investment fund. Brent was previously Associate General Counsel for Quiznos during its aggressive growth phase where he managed corporate legal matters, including debt and equity financing transactions, franchise matters, acquisitions, intellectual property, corporate governance, and commercial transactions.
Brent began his legal practice at the Silicon Valley office of law firm Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison where he worked with venture capital firms and emerging growth and technology companies focusing on capital raising transactions, mergers & acquisitions, securities, public offerings, and general corporate matters. He then joined Denver-based Brownstein Hyatt & Farber where he represented public and private companies as well as venture capital and private equity firms. Brent is a graduate of the United States Air Force Academy and served on active duty in the Air Force for five years, rising to the rank of Captain.
California Bar Association
Colorado Bar Association
Denver Bar Association
State Bar Licenses
- Represented hundreds of companies and investors as outside general counsel and advisor.
- Executed more than 100 venture capital and convertible debt financing transactions totaling more than $250 million.
- Executed more than 80 private equity and M&A transactions totaling more than $1.8 billion.
- Represented more than 50 lenders and companies in the negotiation and execution of credit facilities totaling in excess of $900 million.
- Formed and assisted in the management of more than 20 venture capital and private equity funds totaling in excess of $450 million.
Representative Transactions Include:
- $500 million private equity transaction with Quiznos, JPMorgan, and JPMorgan Partners Global Investors.
- $725 million senior credit facility and $225 million second lien credit facility with Quiznos, Goldman Sachs Credit Partners, Deutsche Bank Securities, Credit Suisse Securities, Wachovia Bank, and BNP Paribas Securities.
- $250 million franchise royalty securitization with Quiznos and Lehman Brothers.
- $150 million credit facility with Quiznos and JPMorgan.
- $300 million in investment fund formations for Multiverse Capital.
- $250 million private equity transaction with Quiznos and CICQ LP.
- $100 million investment fund, $65 million in credit facilities, $15 million private equity transaction, $6 million sales of real estate investment fund and the acquisition of a $3 million technology company for Atrium Capital Markets Group.
- $50 million in credit facilities with Quiznos and Vectra Bank Colorado, National Association.
- $8 million series A preferred stock financing for Kikoko and Stinson Brands.