Representation of a public oil and energy exploration company in its strategic acquisition/merger of another public oil and energy exploration company.
Oil & Gas – Tax
Clark Hill has significant experience in business tax planning for its energy clients, including the taxation of corporations and their shareholders, partnerships, limited liability companies and their members, royalty trusts, publicly traded partnerships, and other entities and their owners or beneficiaries. For decades, whether the issue is straightforward or complicated, we have provided our energy industry clients with the specialized knowledge necessary to execute sound tax advice and planning.
We advise on taxable and tax-deferred acquisitions, dispositions, mergers, and reorganizations, financing, debt restructuring, and leasing activities, as well as analyzing the tax consequences of public and private securities offerings. We also represent clients in tax audit situations by analyzing identified issues, developing audit strategies, negotiating settlements, and litigating claims.
- Advised client on corporate structure and tax aspects in connection with the acquisition of an offshore crude oil terminalling and storage facility
- Advised sellers and purchasers on tax aspects of business acquisitions involving both strategic and financial purchasers
- Advised clients on tax aspects of reorganizations of corporate and partnership entities
- Prepared tax disclosures for debt and equity offering documents involving a variety of transactions, including oil and gas exploration and development, hedge funds and private equity, and alternative energy
- Served as special tax counsel to issuer on $450 million SEC registered offering of tax-advantaged convertible notes
- Represented client in the disposition of closely held coast-wise transportation company to midstream master limited partnership (MLP)
- Represented family-owned company in $825 million sale of compression services company to publicly traded partnership
- Represented midstream MLP in multiple acquisitions and joint ventures in storage, terminaling and midstream businesses
- Represented privately-held midstream partnership in private equity recapitalization and subsequent acquisitions