Representation of a public oil and energy exploration company in its strategic acquisition/merger of another public oil and energy exploration company.
Oil & Gas – Intellectual Property
Clark Hill’s intellectual property team represents a cross-section of public and privately-held oil and gas industry clients, including global exploration and production companies, worldwide providers of oil field services, onshore and offshore companies providing support to the energy industry, and pipeline companies.
Our IP attorneys have the experience and expertise to handle the most technically demanding challenges and have decades of experience representing clients in litigation and administrative actions over trademark, copyright, patent, misappropriation of trade secrets, infringement, and other disputes. Our attorneys also handle IP management, patent and trademark filings, licensing, technology transfers, and provide counseling and opinions on IP matters in both domestic and international markets.
- Preparation and negotiation of patent and trademark licensing agreements for oil field services and midstream clients as licensors and licensees
- Worldwide preparation and prosecution of patent and trademark applications in the areas of cryogenic LNG applications, downhole MWD/LWD tools, fracking applications, seismic data monitoring and collection, industrial lubricants, industrial manufacturing safety systems, oil and gas exploration and production, and marine transport systems
- Represented large and middle-market energy companies for decades in obtaining and maintaining worldwide patent and trademark portfolios including recent monitoring of competitor patent prosecution to obtain controlling patents in the market.
- Evaluated new inventions for patentability given the state of the art in oil/gas technology
- Provided counseling and opinions regarding the evaluation of the scope of competitor’s patents, freedom to operate, and infringement avoidance
- Represented large and middle-market energy companies in patent, trademark, copyright, and misappropriation of trade secret litigation
- Provided counseling and opinions to large and middle-market energy companies for decades on worldwide patent freedom to use opinions including recent successful worldwide patent litigation avoidance counseling
- Represented large and middle-market energy and transportation companies in obtaining and maintaining worldwide patent protection, including claim and specification drafting, inventor and examiner interviews, and office action responses
- Provided patent expertise in the areas of oil field, well logging, and formation evaluation tools, including resistivity, nuclear logging, acoustics, nuclear magnetic resonance, gamma-ray spectroscopy, seismic data acquisition, and telemetry systems