Clark Hill’s national Labor & Employment Litigation team is battle tested, results oriented, and client focused. We don’t tell our clients what to do, rather, they tell us what they need and we provide options to realizing that end. We analyze the strengths and weaknesses, risks and rewards, and costs and benefits associated with every matter. By arming our clients with the information they need, we believe they can make an informed decision going forward.
Our firm represents employers in employment claims before state and federal district, appellate, and supreme courts, as well as before administrative agencies, such as the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Department of Labor (DOL), the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and their state counterparts. In addition to representing business, institutional, government, religious, and non-profit employers, we have a well-established team providing legal defense to federal, state, and local law enforcement officers across the country.
Our litigators don’t get distracted or bogged down by issues that are not important or ultimately have no bearing on the case. We are sensitive to our client’s perspective and points of concern, and take the time to fully understand their preferences and tailor our game plan around those specific imperatives. Cost-conscientious, a relentless dedication to efficiency, and the identification of core issues at the onset of the matter allow us to be far more effective at the negotiation table and before the court.
Notably, we are committed to proactive counseling that minimizes the risk of litigation altogether. If litigation ensues, we will vigorously defend any claims, or, if our client wants to resolve the matter, will seek to do so immediately. In the event diplomacy and all other alternatives are exhausted, we capitalize on the generations of vast institutional knowledge, as we are formidable and rarely surprised.
We know how to navigate our clients through turbulent, difficult, and emotion-infused employment disputes. Our litigators and trial attorneys handle a wide variety of employment-related claims and litigation, including multi-plaintiff, multi-jurisdictional, and class action matters. We defend employers in disputes involving:
- Discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and other federal and state statutory claims, including claims under Title VII, ADEA, ADA, and FMLA
- Wrongful discharge and other types of employment-related claims, including class actions resulting from downsizing or other personnel actions
- Wage and hour disputes, including single-plaintiff and collective actions under the Fair Labor Standard Act
- Constitutional and statutory civil rights violations
- Breach of contract
- Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) claims
- Employment torts, including whistleblower and False Claims Act (FCA), retaliation, free speech, invasion of privacy, and negligent hiring, retention, and supervision
- Federal and state court lawsuits based on public policy, contract, covenant of good faith and fair dealing, infliction of emotional distress, and fraud
- Protection of proprietary information, unfair competition, noncompetition, nondisclosure, non-solicitation, and trade secrets
- Private Attorney General actions
- Unfair labor practice charges before the NLRB