Clark Hill’s national Labor & Employment Litigation team is battle-tested, result-oriented, and client-focused. We don’t tell our clients what to do, rather, they tell us what they need and we provide options to realize that end. We analyze the strengths and weaknesses, risks and rewards, and costs and benefits associated with every matter. By arming our clients with the law and its practical effects, they can make an informed decision.
Our firm represents employers in employment claims before state and federal district, appellate, and supreme courts, as well as before administrative agencies, such as the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Department of Labor (DOL), the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and their state counterparts. In addition to representing business, institutional, government, religious, and non-profit employers, we have a well-established team providing legal defense to federal, state, and local law enforcement officers across the country.
Our litigators don’t get distracted or bogged down by issues that are not important or ultimately have no bearing on the case. We are sensitive to our client’s perspective and points of concern and tailor our game plan around those needs. Cost-consciousness, a relentless dedication to efficiency, and the identification of core issues allow us to be extremely effective at the negotiation table and before the court.
We are committed to proactive counseling that minimizes the threat of litigation altogether. If litigation ensues, we will vigorously defend any claims, or seek to resolve the matter expeditiously if required. In the event negotiation, mediation, and diplomacy are exhausted, the client will proceed to battle armed with talented advocates who can capitalize on vast institutional knowledge and courtroom experience.
We know how to navigate our clients through turbulent, difficult, and emotion-infused employment disputes. Our trial attorneys handle a wide variety of employment-related claims and litigation, including multi-plaintiff, multi-jurisdictional, and class action matters. We defend employers in disputes involving:
- Discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and other federal and state statutory claims, including claims under Title VII, ADEA, ADA, and FMLA
- Wrongful discharge and other types of employment-related claims, including class actions resulting from downsizing or other personnel actions
- Wage and hour disputes, including single-plaintiff and collective actions under the Fair Labor Standard Act
- Constitutional and statutory civil rights violations
- Breach of contract
- ERISA claims
- Employment torts, including whistleblower and False Claims Act (FCA), retaliation, free speech, invasion of privacy, and negligent hiring, retention, and supervision
- Federal and state court lawsuits based on public policy, contract, covenant of good faith and fair dealing, infliction of emotional distress, and fraud
- Protection of proprietary information, unfair competition, noncompetition, nondisclosure, non-solicitation, and trade secrets
- Private Attorney General actions
- Unfair labor practice charges before the NLRB