Clark Hill is there for employers every step of the way. Our team delivers the honed skill and deep bench of experience to provide accurate, efficient, and daily counseling to clients in real time. Simply, if anything happens at work, we can and will help.
Our firm advises employers and their human resource staff on all matters that arise in the workplace, including employee discipline and the long-term structuring of employment policies. We provide legal counsel on all stages of the employment relationship, from HR planning and termination to every type of employment document, including applications, interview questions, termination, handbooks, medical leave, and FMLA procedure and documentation.
Many of our veteran counselors are “heavy hitters” in the plethora of highly specific legal disciplines surrounding the employment relationship. We are business-minded and continuously strive to understand the operations and goals of each client, while also serving as a true partner. Across the country, we focus on staying ahead of the curve when it comes to specialized industry know-how such as maritime/admiralty, tech, biomedical, healthcare, retail, hospitality, financial services, and energy, including oil and gas, oilfield services, and alternative energy facilities such as wind and nuclear.
Employment counseling infiltrates practically every area of our firmwide practice. We go out of our way to respond to a client crisis and are sensitive, astute, and flexible when dealing with the particularly thorny issues surrounding people problems. Notably, our team is skilled in the art of employment-related triage and able to answer questions and address concerns quickly and pragmatically. By blending legal acumen and business sense, we are able to deliver creative, outside-of-the-box solutions for those we serve.
In addition, we are focused on giving clients the knowledge to become more effective at spotting issues before such scenarios can become roadblocks to progress. By working with our clients to properly address challenges as they arise, we help them avoid litigation and foster a productive, harmonious work environment.
We understand the legal issues and the practical concerns our clients face, including cost and educational constraints or even issues that arise as a result of being an international company. There is not much we have not seen or experienced, and we leverage our collective intelligence to benefit our clients.
Among the issues we regularly address are:
- State and federal discrimination
- Harassment and retaliation law compliance
- Disability law compliance and requests for accommodations
- Compliance with state and federal whistleblower acts
- Family and Medical Leave Act compliance
- Workplace privacy, electronic monitoring, and drug and alcohol testing
- Mandatory arbitration in the workplace
- Employee evaluation, discipline, and discharge
- Preparation of employee handbooks and policy manuals, employment agreements, separation agreements, employment applications, and related forms
- Executive compensation, retention, and change of control
- Incentive plans
- Protection of employers' trade secrets and confidential information
- Union elections, collective bargaining, and related issues
- State and federal wage and hour law compliance
- Enforcement of non-compete, confidentiality, and trade secret agreements
- Federal contracting compliance
- Training on employment issues