I-9 Audits & Compliance
Every employer must have an I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form completed for every employee they employ in the U.S. The consequences of not complying with I-9 rules and requirements are costly. Clark Hill assists employers in every industry with I-9 compliance, helping them to correct mistakes and identify areas of non-compliance, as well as helping to design compliance programs to ensure that I-9 requirements are met on an ongoing basis.
Compliance is a Process, Not an Event
Identify and Assess Risk Areas
- Is the employer aware of compliance requirements?
- Have any processes or procedures been put in place?
- Are there immediately identifiable red flags?
Develop or Revise Policies and Procedures
- Assist employer to establish or amend processes and procedures to ensure I-9s are completed correctly and timely
- Advise on proper storage, retention and destruction policies
- Establish policies in the event of audit or investigation
Train and Educate
- Prepare materials and conduct training for management and employees on I-9 compliance
- Continually advise on new rules and regulations
Monitor and Audit
- Monitor efficacy of, and compliance with, I-9 policies and procedures
Revise and Adapt
- Revise policies and procedures to increase efficiencies, correct deficiencies and adapt to changes in I-9 rules and regulations
- Advise and defend employers subject to I-9 audit
- Negotiate with government agencies to reduce fines and penalties for non-compliance