More News > >
Admitted to practice in Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois and the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third, Seventh and Ninth Circuits
U.S. Supreme Court
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1978
Law Review Editorial Board; Moot Court Competition Team
B.A., Northwestern University, 1975
Robert M. Cumnock Scholarship; Quarter Finals at Nationals, intercollegiate debate, 1972
American Bar Association
Illinois National Employment Lawyers Association
National Employment Lawyers Association
Chicago Bar Association
Seventh Circuit Bar Association
L. Steven Platt is a Member of the Firm's Labor and Employment Practice Group. Steve has been practicing law since 1978 and focuses his activities in labor and employment law as well as litigation. Prior to joining Clark Hill, Steve was a partner for many years at a Chicago labor and employment boutique firm. During his practice, Steve has represented litigants in employment discrimination matters, did multi-employer Taft-Harley fringe benefit fund work, ERISA and other general litigation.
Steve is a labor and employment litigator in general litigation, commercial litigation and workers compensation. Steve has practiced and handled cases in Illinois, California, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Wisconsin.
Publications and Presentations:
- Co-author of the legal reference book, Age Discrimination Litigation, published by James Publishing now in its 10th publication (2000 – present)
- Co-author of two chapters on sex discrimination and family and medical leave issues and lecturer for the Illinois Institute of Continuing Education (IICLE) (1984 – present)
- Author and lecturer for the Practicing Law Institute (April 1996 - present)
- Author and lecturer for the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) national conferences (1991 – present)
- Employee Assistance law overview for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) State Apprenticeship Conference (March 1996)
- Published more than 40 articles in industry and legal publications
- Lecturer for the International Employee Benefit Foundation (IEBF)
- Lecturer for the Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Lecturer for The John Marshall Law School
- Has appeared on CBS Eye on America, local television and radio and has been quoted in the New York Times, U.S. News & World Report, AARP publications as well as in local newspapers
- Steve holds the AV Peer Review Rating-from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability.
- Steve has been recognized as a Leading Lawyer in the category of Employment Law: Employee.
- Steve was rated as one of the top seven employment lawyers in Chicago in 2005 by Chambers and Partners, Ltd., an independent rating service.
- Steve was named as one of Crain's Chicago Business' top 100 lawyers in Illinois in its January 2009 edition.
- Steve was named by Cambridge Who's Who as the 2009 "Professional of the Year" in the Employment and Legal Services area.
- Steve was recognized on July 7, 2010 by Cambridge Who's Who "for demonstrating dedication, leadership and excellence in the legal services industry."
- Steve was selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers Magazine in the area of labor and employment law from 2008 to the present.
- Steve was named and is currently a "Fellow" in the American College of Labor and Employment Lawyers.
- EEOC Liaison and on the Labor and Employment Committee of the American Bar Association
- Managing Editor of the Chicago Bar News
- Editorial Board of the Chicago Bar Record
- Former President of the Illinois National Employment Lawyers Association
- Former Secretary and Board Member of the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) and former President
- Judicial Screening Committee of the Chicago Bar Association and former Chairman of the Civil Rights Committee (1996-1998)