Peter R. ThompsonPeter Thompson Clark Hill
Peter R. Thompson
Pete Thompson represents clients in civil ligation matters, compliance counseling, and government enforcement defense. Pete provides counseling in a variety of environmental law areas including RCRA and Clean Air Act (CAA) compliance, EPA proposed rule-making, TCEQ self- auditing, and defense support in EPA enforcement cases.
In addition, Pete has managed a large-scale Freedom of Information Act request to the EPA and advises governmental clients, including school districts, on how to respond to information requests under the Texas Public Information Act (TPIA). Pete has also defended pharmaceutical and product manufacturers in product liability suits.
Pete maintains an active pro bono practice. He regularly advises clients who have faced political and religious persecution in their home countries on seeking affirmative asylum in the US.
- Managed internal investigation, document review, and database of historical information in response to Clean Air Act (CAA) Section 104 requests.
- Supported defense of U.S. EPA and DOJ CAA enforcement case resulting in significant reduction to initial penalty demands.
- Support system-wide compliance auditing to identify and correct issues related to hazardous waste and non-compliance under RCRA for state-wide medical/pharmaceutical provider.
- Provide rule-making analysis on EPA's proposed Pharmaceutical Waste Rule.
- Identify responsible third parties in the remediation of leaking underground storage tanks (USTs) and negotiate and document agreement to transfer liability to responsible parties.
- Provide compliance audit and counseling on Public Water Supply obligations for operators of water wells serving chain of commercial food and retail establishments.
- Manage, review and analysis of multi-state document request to EPA under FOIA related to UIC permitting and aquifer exemption applications and provided counseling for permit amendments and exemption strategies.
- Represent and counsel governmental clients on a variety of compliance matters, including the Freedom of Information Act, the Texas Public Information Act, and the Texas Open Meetings Act
IMMIGRATION - PRO BONO
- Represent asylum seekers who were tortured in their home countries on account of their political opinion and membership in a particular social group.