Peter B. KupelianPeter Kupelian Clark Hill
Peter B. Kupelian
Peter B. Kupelian is a business and commercial litigator with extensive experience representing companies in multiple industries. He regularly represents businesses in high stakes disputes including counseling and defending class actions and other multiple party and complex matters.
Peter also specializes in employment, insurance coverage and shareholder disputes. He defends and counsels companies in a wide variety of employment-related matters, including disputes over breach of agreements and wrongful discharge, discrimination and compliance with various federal and state statutes (e.g., ADA) as well as the proliferating area of legal disputes over restrictive covenants and non-compete agreements. He also counsels clients on day-to-day employment issues, including drafting and interpreting employment manuals and contracts. He has particular experience with executive employment agreements and the specific standards and requirements of such agreements. He also conducts investigations for companies involving employment issues or potential violations of internal policies or federal and state statutes governing the conduct of individuals.
Peter has successfully represented insurers on a broad range of coverage issues and has participated in ground breaking federal and state court decisions upholding the rights of insurance companies. He has represented insurers in mass tort coverage litigation, environmental matters, policy rescission actions in a variety of contexts (including life insurance) and matters involving complex disputes between excess and primary insurers.
In the medical and health care arena, Peter has substantial experience representing medical practices, physicians and health care providers on their unique issues. He regularly counsels individuals and entities in the health care industry on business, regulatory and employment issues.
Peter also represents medical related and other clients before administrative agencies. By way of example, he has substantial experience with the Certificate of Need program before the Michigan Department of Community Health and has handled administrative appeals up through the state court system.
He regularly counsels businesses and individuals regarding legal, fiduciary and ethical obligations, in accordance with pertinent agreements and legal requirements, to best assure compliance and to evaluate and minimize attendant risks. Such counseling takes place in the context of determining the appropriate course of action in a complex and regulatory filled environment and preferably prior to any dispute arising or litigation being initiated.
Peter also provides expert services in all areas of alternative dispute resolution. He has conducted mediations and arbitrations in a wide variety of legal practice areas and has participated in writing, lecturing and training regarding alternative dispute resolution methodologies and issues. He serves as a mediator and arbitrator in wide-ranging areas including complex commercial, shareholder and partnership disputes, contract and medical-related matters. He also serves as a court-appointed arbitrator, mediator and special master to resolve disputes among parties.
Co-author, The Use of Mediation for Resolving Salary Disputes in Sports, 2 T.M. Cooley J. Prac. and Clin. L.353, January, 1999
Contributing Author, West Group’s Michigan Practice Alternative Dispute Resolution, 1998
- Dutton-Lainson Co. v. Continental Insurance Co. and Northern Insurance Company of New York, 778 N.W.2d 433 (Neb. 2010)
- United Food and Commercial Workers AFL-CIO, Local No. 880 v. National Labor Relations Board, 74 F.3d 292 (D.C. Cir. 1996)
- Shpargel v. Stage & Co., 914 F.Supp. 1468 (E.D. Mich. 1996)
- Employers Ins. of Wausau v. Petroleum Specialties, Inc., 69 F.3d 98 (6th Cir. 1995)
- Aetna Casualty & Surety Co. v. Dow Chemical Co., 883 F.Supp. 1101 (E.D. Mich. 1995)
- U.S.A. v. Cordova Chemical, 759 F.Supp. 1269 (W.D. Mich 1991)
- West Bay Exploration v A.I.G., 915 F.2d 1030 (6th Cir. 1990)
- Vhalantones v. Zurich American, 750 F.Supp. 248 (E.D. Mich. 1990)
- Pawlak v. Redox, 182 Mich. App. 758 (Mich. App. 1990)
- Fireman’s Fund v. Ex-Cell-O, 720 F.Supp. 597 (E.D. Mich. 1989)
- Admiral Merchants v. Mich. Dept. of Labor, 149 Mich. App. 344 (Mich. App. 1986)
- Advance Watch Co. Ltd. v. Kemper Natl. Life Ins. Co., 878 F.Supp. 1034 (E.D. Mich. 1995)
- Commodity Futures Trading Comm v. First National Monetary Corp., 565 F.Supp 30 (D.C. Ill. 1983)
Honors and Awards:
- Best Lawyers in America – Commercial Litigation; Litigation – Labor and Employment, 2010 - 2016
- DBusiness Top Lawyers – Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Labor and Employment Law, 2013 - 2015
- Super Lawyers – Employment Litigation – Defense, 2006 - 2015
- Leading Lawyers, 2014-2017
- Michigan Super Lawyers Business Litigation, 2014
- The American Lawyer, Top Rated Lawyers in Labor and Employment Law, 2012
- Best’s Recommended Insurance Attorneys, 2010
- DBusiness Top Litigation Lawyers, 2009