Pamela A. PalmerPamela Palmer Clark Hill
Pamela A. Palmer
Pam Palmer concentrates her practice in the areas of insurance coverage, admiralty, environmental law/toxic tort and appellate advocacy.
Pam provides advice and representation concerning all aspects of first and third-party insurance focusing primarily on marine insurance, liability for environmental remediation of contaminated properties, construction defects, professional malpractice, toxic tort, arson, suspicious claims and bad faith. Pam also provides representation to Aviation & Marine clients in matters involving marine insurance, cargo damage and personal injury.
Pam’s experience includes complex insurance coverage matters involving environmental contamination and clergy abuse, as well as matters involving admiralty and maritime law including marine insurance coverage, pollution, products liability, cargo damage, personal injury, salvage, and toxic torts. Pam has tried a number of cases to successful jury verdict as well as numerous bench trials and appeals.
Pam is a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, the immediate past Editor In Chief of the ABA TIPS Law Journal and a former Chair of the American Bar Association TIPS Admiralty and Maritime Law Committee. Pam graduated cum laude from Gonzaga University School of Law where she was an associate editor of the Gonzaga Law Review, member of the National Moot Court team, member of the Linden Cup Moot Court First Place Team and received the CALI award for legal research and writing. In 2016, Pam served as a delegate to the American Bar Association House of Delegates on behalf of the Maritime Law Association of the United States.
- Moderator, "Discovery and the Extra-Contractual Suit", ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section Conference, April 27, 2017
- Co-author, Environmental Law Newsletter, "New York District Court Rules on Trigger and Sufficiency of Notice in Long Tail Environmental Claim", January 2017
- Moderator, "P&I Club and Insurance Roundtable: Issues of Concern for the In-House Counsel Going Forward; Cybersecurity in Shipping; Impact of Consolidation and Interest in Diversification; The Latest Developments in Claims; New Coverage Nuances and Ensuring Necessary Coverages Are in Place; and Suggestions as to How Outside Counsel Can Get on a Pre-Approved Panel", American Conference Institute's 6th Annual Forum on Admiralty and Maritime Claims and Litigation, January 31, 2017
- Co-author, Environmental Law Newsletter, "New York Appellate Division Rules on Allocation to Insurers When No Insurance Is Available In the Marketplace", December 2016
- Moderating, "The Business of Shipping: In-House (Non-Insurer) Views on Selecting and Managing Outside Counsel; Migrant Crisis; Cost of Complying with Pollution Regulations; Emerging Issues with respect to Interconnection Between Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Business and Maritime Law; and More," 5th Annual Forum on Admiralty & Maritime Claims and Litigation, American Conference Institute, January 27, 2016
- Presenter, "2015 Educational Seminar: A View from the Claims Professional," The Mariners Club of Massachusetts, April 2, 2015
- Co-Chair and Moderator, 4th Annual Forum on Admiralty & Maritime Claims and Litigation, American Conference Institute, February 4-5, 2015
- Presenter, "Admiralty Practice in the 21st Century: Navigating Which Circuit Splits Will Lead to a Supreme Court Review," American Bar Association Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (TIPS) Admiralty and Maritime Law Committee and the Mariners Club of Massachusetts, August 7, 2014
- Author, "Good Faith Claims Handling: Minimizing Bad Faith Claim Exposure," Defense Research Institute: Insurance Coverage and Claims, April, 2014
- Presenter, "Good Faith Claims Handling: Minimizing Bad Faith Claim Exposure," Defense Research Institute’s Insurance Coverage and Claims Conference, April 2, 2014
- Presenter, "Procedural Issues and Considerations: Jurisdiction, Venue, Pleadings, Forum Selection Clauses, Removal, Juries and Beyond," American Conference Institute’s 3rd Annual Forum on Admiralty & Maritime Claims and Litigation, February 28, 2014
- Moderator, The Insurance Response to Disasters: Considerations for Insurers and Businesses, ABA Premier CLE, April 15, 2013
- Washington Supreme Court Ruling Raises Considerations for Carriers Nationwide, February 4, 2013
- California Supreme Court Sides With Policyholder on Allocation of Coverage in Progressive Damage Claim, August 10, 2012
- Author, Sackett v. The Environmental Protective Agency: Pre-Enforcement Review of an EPA Compliance Order - What If the EPA Got It Wrong? Defense Research Institute: Covered Events, January 2012
- Regional Editor, Excess and Umbrella Compendium, Defense Research Institute - 2011
- Co-author, California Property Insurance: Law and Litigation, California Continuing Education of the Bar - 2011
- Author, California Chapter, Insurance Bad Faith: A Compendium of State Law, Defense Research Institute - 2011
- Author, Montana Chapter, Insurance Bad Faith: A Compendium of State Law, Defense Research Institute - 2011
- Assistant Editor, The Reference Handbook on the Comprehensive General Liability Policy (ABA Publishing 2010)
- Author, BP’s $700 Million Excess Insurance Question – Did Pollution Damage Originate Above the Surface of the Water?, ABA TIPS Admiralty and Maritime Law Committee Special Edition Newsletter, August 2010
- Co-author, Recent Developments in Insurance Coverage Litigation 45 Tort Trial & Ins. Practice L.J. 429 (2010)
- Co-author, Employment Practices Liability Coverage – Updates and Strategies in Addressing Employment-Based Claims, ABA Section of Litigation Insurance Coverage Committee CLE Seminar, March 5, 2010
- Co-author, The Insurer’s Duty to Advise the Insured of the Right to Select Independent Counsel, ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section CLE Seminar, February 26, 2010
- California Conference of Arson Investigators – Instructor, Expert Witness Testimony Course, 2008, 2009
- Co-author, Washington Chapter, Unfair Insurance Practices: A Compendium of State Law, Defense Research Institute - 2008
- Co-author, Washington Chapter, Insurance Bad Faith: A Compendium of State Law, Defense Research Institute - 2006