Michael A. McClellandMichael McClelland Clark Hill
Michael A. McClelland
Michael A. McClelland has over 30 years of experience representing a broad range of varied business clients, professionals, and high net worth individuals. A substantial part of his work involves providing Federal and Texas tax and business advice to the owners and management of closely-controlled corporations, partnerships, and other business entities, including advice related to planning and implementing various tax free and taxable acquisitions and reorganizations. Another important segment of his work involves Texas and multistate tax planning.
Mike's extensive experience includes advising businesses and individuals in such diverse matters as choice of entity, start ups; family limited partnerships; the business association/disassociation of physicians, dentists, attorneys, CPAs, and other professionals; disputes between owners, partners, and trust beneficiaries; the law and governance of partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies, and other business entities; shareholder, partner, and LLC member rights and duties; probate, trust and estate requirements, fiduciary duties and responsibilities, and business restructuring and reorganizations.
Mike has served as an Adjunct Professor in Southern Methodist University's Graduate LL.M. Program teaching Advanced Corporate Taxation. He is a Certified Public Accountant in the State of Texas and the State of Louisiana.
- Organized/counseled numerous business entities and owners.
- Assisted clients in various asset and stock purchases/sales.
- Counseled clients on Texas "Margin Tax"
- Assisted clients with margin tax exemptions and refund claims.
- Advised clients on multistate tax planning and audits.
- Designed and implemented various family limited partnerships.
- Assisted clients with sales to defective grantor trusts.
- Organized/counseled tax exempt charities.
- Represented charity in challenge to tax exempt status.
- Represented executors in Texas and Louisiana probates.
- Represented clients in will contests and probate, trust, partnership and corporate litigation/mediations.
- Advised management on shareholder disputes.
- Assisted minority shareholders in claims against corporation.
- Represented limited partners in disputes with general partner.
- Represented trustees and beneficiaries in various disputes.
- Mike has presented to the American Bar Association, Collin County Bench-Bar Conference, FDIC, MERITAS, McKinney Chamber of Commerce, National Association of Accountants, North Dallas Chamber of Commerce, North Louisiana Export Council, Plano Bar Association, Plano/Richardson CPA Study Group, Society of Financial Service Professionals, State Bar of Texas, Strasburger's Annual Tax Symposium, Strasburger & Price Business And Law Forum, Texas Society of CPAs, Travis Wolff University, and the West Texas Bankruptcy Bar Association.
- The Fight to Reduce Texas Margin Tax: A Report from the Front Lines, Strasburger Tax Strategies Newsletter (April 2010)
- Limiting Creditor Recourse, Strasburger Business & Law Newsletter (July 2005)
- Asset Protection? You Must Plan Ahead! Strasburger Business & Law Newsletter (June 2005)
- What's All the Fuss About Family Limited Partnerships? Strasburger Business & Law Newsletter (July 2004)