Matthew L. MarshallMatthew Marshall Clark Hill
Matthew L. Marshall
The primary focus of Matt's practice is in the area of products liability, with an emphasis in complex pharmaceutical, medical device and dietary supplement litigation. Matt is a Member of the Firm's Product Liability Practice Group.
Matt serves as both national and local counsel in nationwide mass tort drug & device litigation. Matt’s drug and device cases have involved heart valves, cardiac pumps, heart-lung machines, angioplasty devices, stents, retrieval systems, microcatheters, respirators, vagus nerve and spinal cord stimulators, cochlear implants, hydrothermal & RF ablation devices, orthopedic implants and allografts, dermal fillers, pain pumps and other infusion pump devices, cold therapy devices, centrifuges, contact lens disinfecting solutions, circumcision clamps, lasers & IPL devices, surgical mesh, intraoperative warming devices, surgical sponges and other surgical instruments, latex gloves, wheelchairs, prosthetics, walkers, and canes.
Matt has also served as national and regional counsel in several coordinated mass tort litigation and class actions including, but not limited to, dietary supplements, latex gloves, contact lens disinfecting solution, Phenylpropanolamine and quinine.
Matt has also represented service providers in the life science industry, including contract research organizations and testing laboratories.
Matt also represents manufacturers, component part suppliers, and bulk material suppliers in cases involving commercial products, including major appliances, food products, tires, solvents and reglazing chemicals, household products and exercise equipment.
Matt has successfully handled and tried to verdict numerous claims involving death or serious injuries including stroke, neurological deficits & paralysis, respiratory failure, SJS, burns, organ damage & failure, amputation, RSD, blindness, and other catastrophic injuries.
- Author, "New FDA Draft Guidance on Medical Product Communications: What You Need to Know," January 20, 2017
- "FDA Regulations, Medical Causation, and Treating Provider Depositions," webcast co-presented by DRI’s Drug and Medical Device Committee and Young Lawyers Committee, December 12, 2013
- "Decision Limits Exposure for Medical Device Manufacturers," Los Angeles Daily Journal, July 9, 2013
- "California Appellate Court Decision Favorable for Medical Device Manufacturers," Email Alert, July 8, 2013
- "Introducing new rules for depositions, effective Jan. 1," Los Angeles Daily Journal, December 31, 2012
- "Justices Limit Exposure of Foreign Businesses to US Litigation," Los Angeles Daily Journal, July 7, 2011
- "Supreme Court Rules that State Failure to Warn Claims Against Generic Drug Manufacturers are Preempted," June 27, 2011
- "The Nuts and Bolts of Product Liability Litigation," September 2010
- "Co-Defendants in Drug & Medical Device Litigation - Powerful Allies/Dangerous Enemies," June 8, 2010
- "We Said That? Navigating the Risks of a Robust Advertising, eMarketing & Promotions Program for Medical Products," May 2010
- "Best Practices for Managing Deposition Expenses and Achieving Predictable Legal Costs," December 2009
- "Product Liability and Food Contamination Seminar," August 2002
- "The Admissibility of Medical Device Reports in Civil Litigation, Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry," January 2001
- "Common Sense Reform or Legislative Excess?" A Survey of Recent State Tort Reform Legislation, International Legal Strategy, Vol. IX-2, February 15, 2000