Mark WalkerMark Walker Clark Hill
For 30 years, Mark Walker has counseled leading energy providers in a variety of regulatory, contract, financial, administrative, and operational matters. His experience as Vice President of Regulatory Affairs for one of Texas' top electricity suppliers, as General Counsel to one of America's first independent regional electric power system operators, and as Counsel to a major public power utility give him uniquely intimate knowledge of the industry challenges. The solutions Mark offers his clients are rooted in his deep knowledge of regulatory structures in Texas, wholesale and retail competitive markets, and complex laws governing the operations of utilities. His experience also includes contract negotiation/drafting, environmental law, asset management, nuclear operations, open government law, non-profit corporations, and water utility permitting. Mark has appeared before state regulatory agencies, including the Public Utility Commission of Texas, and participated in independent system operator/regional transmission organizations and related Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and North American Electric Reliability Corporation activities.
- Successfully advocated for changes in state law, regulation, and market rules to enhance opportunities for electricity suppliers - improving efficiency of markets, ensuring fair treatment of suppliers, and enabling development of new power supplies (including carbon capture generation, merchant nuclear, and renewables).
- Negotiated $60 million Reliability Must Run (RMR) power agreement with the Texas power grid operator.
- Member of the management team that developed and implemented the most successful competitive electricity market in the country, on time and on budget.
- Participated in development of the original and amended standard generation interconnection agreement and related processes for the independent system operator handling nearly 90% of Texas' electric load.
- Lead counsel for utility rate cases and transmission line licensing proceedings.
- Settled numerous enforcement actions with state agencies.
- ERCOT Reserve Margins, The Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section of the State Bar of Texas (September 2018)
- Alternative Technologies in the Electric Utility Industry, The Public Utlitiy Law Section of the State Bar of Texas (August 2018)
- Overheard @ Infocast ERCOT Market Summit, RTO Insider. Subscription required. (March 2018)