Kathy P. Hurst RN, CHCKathy Hurst Clark Hill
Kathy P. Hurst RN, CHC
Kathy Hurst specializes in providing legal and consulting services for Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNF) and Assisted Living Facilities (ALF) in California and Arizona. In addition to being a licensed attorney, Kathy is also a Registered Nurse. Her areas of expertise include: human resource management, risk management, quality assurance and improvement, OSHA programs, state and federal regulatory and administrative compliance, litigation management, coordination, and assistance with outside counsel, compliance and privacy programs, and day-to-day operations management of contracted facilities.
Kathy frequently provides consulting services to providers in the post-acute care system to assist with achieving and maintaining regulatory compliance in accordance with state and federal regulations. Kathy is able to consult to all departments, providing mock surveys, policy and procedure assistance, and privacy and compliance programs. She also provides inservice training (including directed inservices) and other educational programs and is licensed by the state of California as a Continuing Education Provider for the California Board of Registered Nursing. She is also involved in informal dispute resolutions, citation review conferences, and ALJ hearings for survey appeals. Kathy also provides assistance in appealing Medicare payment denials up to and including appeals to the Medicare Appeals Counsel. She also provides forensic services for law firms and serves as an expert in both long term care matters and as an expert for RN practice in the post-acute care setting for the Board of Registered Nursing.
Kathy has presented numerous seminars on the topic of MDS 3.0 and other presentations for the California Association of Health Facilities (CAHF). Kathy is a member of the Regulatory Subcommittee at CAHF as well. She is a member of the American Health Lawyers and Sigma Theta Tau, the Nursing Honor Society.
- Presenter, “Data and Security Overview,” Persian Tech Entrepreneurs and the Iranian American Bar Association, August 6, 2016
- “Office of Civil Rights Ready to Launch HIPAA Audits,” www.privacydatasecurity.com, July 8, 2014
- “Healthcare Demands Accountability: Ignorance is no Excuse,” presentation at CAHF Annual DON Conference, February 2014
- “MDS 3.0,”presentation to CAHF, August 13 - 14, 2013
- “Navigating Corporate Compliance for the Small Provider,” presentation at CAHF Summer Institute, August 8, 2013
- “RAC Audit Training,” presentation to Continuing Life Care Centers, August 8, 2013
- “You Want Me to Learn WHAT?: The Art of Writing Lesson Plans,” presentation at CAHF Annual DSD Conference, May 30, 2013
- “Don’t Cook Your Goose: Policies and Procedures that Won’t Burn: The Art of Crafting Policies and Procedures from a Risk Management/Legal Perspective),” February 2013
- “Navigating Corporate Compliance for the Small Provider,” presentation at CAHF Regional Conference San Bernardino County Chapter, October 9, 2013
- “Antipsychotic Workgroup Member – Informed Consent Task Force,” presentation to CAHF, 2012-2013
- “MDS 3.0,”presentation to CAHF, August 14 - 15, 2012
- "LTC Financial and Quality Concerns," presentation to Nutricopia, April 4, 2012
- “UTI Stat UTI Prevention,” presentation at Annual RD Conference, February 25, 2012
- “MDS 3.0,”presentation to CAHF, February 21 - 22, 2012
- “Unlawful Harassment/AB1825 Mandatory Training,” Health Quality Management Group, Cypress Gardens Care Center, 2010 – 2013
- “MDS Clinical,” presentation to CAHF, September 13 - 14, 2011
- “EKG Interpretation for Telemetry Monitored Patients,” presentation to Waterman Convalescent, July – August 2011
- “MDS 3.0,”presentation to CAHF, August 16 - 17, 2011
- "MDS 3.0: A Plaintiff's Request for Admission Dream," Long Beach, September 29, 2010