Jeffrey N. RothlederJeffrey Rothleder Clark Hill
Jeffrey N. Rothleder
Jeffrey N. Rothleder is a Member in Clark Hill’s Corporate Restructuring and Bankruptcy practice group in the firm’s Washington, DC office. Jeff’s practice focuses on financial restructuring, corporate trust matters, and workout proceedings on behalf of financially distressed companies or their creditors, including representation of debtors, indenture trustees, creditors and creditors' committees, investors and purchasers in in-court and out-of-court restructurings. Jeff represents a wide variety of clients in the enforcement of the entire spectrum of creditors' rights involving secured, unsecured, public or private, and taxable and tax-exempt debt through his work with indenture trustees, lenders, individual creditors, and official committees in Chapter 11 cases.
Jeff also has experience representing debtors, including the restructuring of large companies through the Chapter 11 process or conducting the orderly liquidating and comprehensive asset sales for a diverse group of companies, with a constant view toward balancing the maximization of recoveries for creditors with the protection of the rights of debtors and sellers.
Jeff’s previous representations include:
- Representation of indenture trustees in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings of Sabine Oil & Gas Corporation, Magnum Hunter Resources Corporation, Advanta Corporation, Simmons Bedding Company, Pliant Corporation, R.H. Donnelley Inc., PFF Bancorp, Inc., Silver State Bancorp, ATA Holdings Corporation, Home Valley Bancorp, ATA Holdings Corp., First Mariner, Mercantile Bancorp, BankAtlantic Bancorp, Inc., and Fremont General Corporation.
- The official committee of unsecured creditors in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings of Morris | Schneider | Wittstadt Va, PLLC, Allied Nevada Corporation, Cengage Learning, Inc., Accredited Home Lenders Holding Co., Energy and Exploration Properties, Inc., SDI Solutions, LLC, Luminent Mortgage Corporation, Fieldstone Mortgage Company, Asyst Technologies, Distributed Energy Corporation, and Dexterity Surgical, Inc.
- Representation of the liquidating trustee of the MSW Liquidating Trust and the SDI Liquidation Trust.
- Fannie Mae as the primary secured lender in numerous separate single-asset bankruptcy cases in various districts across the country.
- A debtor-in-possession where the confirmed plan of liquidation paid all creditors in full with interest in the Middle District of Florida.
- A syndicate of secured creditors for a group of affiliated radio stations across the southeastern United States that resulted in a successful liquidation of the debtors' assets.
- An intellectual property licensor in a dispute involving Delphi Corporation's Chapter 11 plan of reorganization and the proposed assumption of the relevant license agreement.
- Creditors, including automobile dealers, in the Chrysler and General Motors Chapter 11 cases.
- Purchasers of real property and other assets in the bankruptcy sale process.
- Defendants in numerous preference, fraudulent transfer, and other bankruptcy litigation matters.
Jeff holds membership in the American Bankruptcy Institute and Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association. He is the Membership Chair of the American Bar Association Committee on Trust Indentures and Indenture Trustees and is on the Advisory Board for the American Bankruptcy Institute Mid-Atlantic Conference.
Presentations & Publications
While attending law school at the University of Maryland, Jeff served as articles editor for The Business Lawyer.
- Co-author of “Medicare Providers, Beware of Government Recoupment,” ABI Bankruptcy Litigation Committee Newsletter, January 2018.
- Panelist, "Decisions, Decisions: Investment Strategy," American Bankruptcy Institute Mid-Atlantic Bankruptcy Workshop, August 2017
- Speaker, “The Proper Role of an Examiner in Chapter 11,” VALCON 2017, Las Vegas, Nevada
- "The Energy Future Holding Corp. Decision: Validating Tender Offers and Limiting the Application of Confirmation Requirements in Bankruptcy Settlements," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law, July/August 2015
- "DIP and Exit Financing Challenges and Issues in Today's Private Equity Environment," Inside the Minds: Strategies for Debtor-In-Possession and Exit Financing, July 2015
- "Adequately Reforming Adequate Protection?" ABI Business Reorganization Committee Newsletter; June 2015
- "An Ongoing Tax Refund Saga For Bank Holding Companies," Law360; March 2015
- "Clarifying TruPS Holders' Exercise Of Remedial Rights," Law360; October 2014 "A 3rd Circ. Opinion On Third-Party Releases," Law360; August 2014
- "Validating A Holder's Right to Elect Chapter 7 Trustee," Law360; August 2012
- "DOA Vu: Some Companies Face Fresh Restructurings," Daily Bankruptcy Review, May 23, 2012