James E. MorrisonJames Morrison Clark Hill
James E. Morrison
James E. Morrison is the co-leader of Clark Hill’s Immigration Practice. He focuses his practice on business immigration matters. He advises clients in a variety of industries on the employment of foreign national employees in the United States. The advice and guidance that James provides includes: long and short term planning for corporate sponsorship of all types of nonimmigrant and immigrant visas; immigration-related issues involved in mergers & acquisitions and corporate restructuring; the international movement of personnel including E Treaty designation and Blanket L approvals; issues related to the hiring and retention of foreign medical graduates within the healthcare industry including J-1 waivers, National Interest Waivers, and cap-exempt H-1Bs; I-140 Schedule A nurses; and foreign investment options including EB-5 and E-2. James represents individuals and companies of all sizes. His clients include: Fortune 100 companies, start-up companies and new offices, large international clients, hospitals and behavioral health care facilities, investors, private clients, professional athletes, musicians, artists, entertainers, and celebrities.
James represents clients in the following industries:
- “US Immigration - What to Expect Under President Trump,” Webinar 2017.
- “Options for Employing J-1 Physicians,” Webinar 2016.
- “Hiring Foreign Medical Graduates and Related J-1 Visa Waiver Issues,” Webinar 2016.
- “EB-2 v. EB-3, PERM and the Visa Bulletin Backlog” Webinar 2015.
- “I-9 Audits, Achieving Best in Class,” Presentation 2015.
- “Hiring Foreign Medical Graduates and Related J-1 Visa Waiver Issues,” Webinar, 2014.
- “Life After Training, Options for J-1 and H-1B Physicians,” Presentation, 2014.
- “US Immigration and the Healthcare Industry,” Webinar, 2013.
- "Immigration Compliance Requirements and Challenges,” Inside the Minds: Employing International Workers, West Thomson/Aspatore Books, 2010.
- “Immigration Law and Employer Compliance: What Every Business Should Know to Protect Itself in the New Era of Enforcement,” CLE seminar, 2008.
- “Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Compliance and Immigration Enforcement," Bryant Park Capital: Middle Market Update, 2007.
- 2018 Corporate Intl Magazine Global Award: Business Immigration Law Firm of the Year in Washington D.C.
- Clark Hill receives 2017 Tier 1 Ranking for Immigration Law in Washington, DC by US News and World Report.
- Clark Hill won Immigration - Law Firm of the Year – USA by Finance Monthly Law Awards, 2017.
- Clark Hill won Legal Team of the Year - Corporate Immigration for 2017 by Lawyerissue.
- Corporate LiveWire's 2016 Legal Award Winner - Clark Hill Corporate Immigration Law Team of the Year.
- International M&A Awards - Corporate LiveWire - Immigration Law Team of the Year - USA in 2015 and 2016.
- Winner in the category of "Immigration Law" by Corporate LiveWire - Global Awards 2015.
- Clark Hill PLC received an Award for Excellence in Immigration Law - Michigan by Al Global Immigration & Logistics 2015.
- Clark Hill PLC was listed as Tier 1 Nationally for Immigration Law in 2015 by U.S. News.
- Clark Hill PLC was listed as US - Regional Immigration Law Firm of the Year in the ACQ Law Awards 2014.
- Clark Hill PLC was listed as US - Immigration Law Firm of the Year in the ACQ Law Awards 2014 and 2015.
- Acquisition International - 2014 Global Mobility and Immigration Awards.
- Clark Hill PLC won the Best Immigration Specialist for Fortune 500 Companies - Michigan.
- Acquisition International - 2014 Legal Awards.
- Clark Hill PLC won the Best International Immigration Team - Michigan.
Represents foreign nationals with demonstrated national or international acclaim for designation as persons of extraordinary ability for both nonimmigrant status and permanent residence in the United States including actors, models, music groups and musicians, artists, entertainers and corporate leaders.
Leads targeted corporate compliance audits of I-9 processes and procedures as well as visa-specific retention policies for corporate clients throughout the United States including: pre and post audit compliance training; new or revised policy implementation; and on-going compliance counseling
Leads the performance of immigration-related due diligence for merger and acquisition projects counseling clients in varying industries and types of deals. Recent engagements range from preliminary to deep due diligence
Represents corporate clients in all types of nonimmigrant and immigrant visa applications and petitions, providing extensive planning and guidance throughout the immigration process
Lead immigration counsel for a nationwide Fortune 500 hospital management company with more than 300 facilities