Gerald P. SchneeweisGerald Schneeweis Clark Hill
Gerald P. Schneeweis
For over 35 years, Gerald Schneeweis has represented clients in state and federal trial and appellate courts. These include pharmaceutical, medical device, and other manufacturers in litigation asserting claims of design and manufacturing defect, failure to warn and off-label promotion. He has successfully represented manufacturers of various prescription medications, including corticosteroids, antibiotics, anti-depressants, birth control, muscle relaxants and anti-seizure products, as well as device manufacturers and research scientists in product liability litigation involving cardiovascular surgical adhesive, retinal implants, human tissue processing, silicone breast implants, pain medication infusion devices, catheters and orthopedic stabilization devices, as well as manufacturers of specialty factory equipment used in pharmaceutical manufacturing. He has counseled manufacturers and insurers on various product liability issues, including adequacy of warnings, marketing, and FDA rules on promotion of off-label use. Gerald recently served as coordinating counsel in multi-plaintiff product liability litigation on behalf of a dermal filler manufacturer/clinical trial sponsor and several of its former executives, officers and directors. He ultimately obtained summary judgment for all his individual clients, based on the grounds that they could not be individually liable for alleged defects in their former company’s product.
He also represents businesses in trademark, unfair competition and copyright litigation and U.S.-based and foreign companies in commercial disputes in U.S. courts arising from business transactions covering a wide variety of industries, such as steel manufacturing, agriculture and apparel.
Mr. Schneeweis has over 35 years' trial and appellate court experience in the representation of architects, engineers, project managers, contractors, and other clients in litigation over claimed errors and omissions, breach of contract, personal injury, unfair competition, and defamation. This includes representation of numerous clients in construction worksite injuries, contract disputes and product liability litigation.
He is a member of the American Bar Association, International Association of Defense Counsel, Defense Research Institute and the American Board of Trial Advocates.
When not practicing law, Gerald performs, writes and records music.
- Webinar: "Legal and Regulatory Updates in the Life Sciences Industry," guest speaker for life sciences industry insurer, January 31, 2017
- Moderator, "Navigating Relationships with Codefendants and Third Party Witnesses," American Bar Association Section of Litigation Regional CLE Workshop - Current Issues in Pharmaceutical, Medical Device, and Biotech Litigation, November 4, 2016
- "Life Sciences Claims and Litigation Trends," presentation to life sciences industry insurer, September 9, 2015
- Co-Author, "Supreme Court Affirms Vitality of Lanham Act Unfair Competition Claims in Two Separate Cases," International Association of Defense Counsel Business Litigation Committee Newsletter, July 2014
- "Federal Preemption" and "Off-Label Promotion," online business litigation courses on FDA regulations of life sciences companies, San Diego State University Masters' program in Regulatory Affairs, May, 2012
- "Justices Limit Exposure of Foreign Businesses to US Litigation," Los Angeles Daily Journal, July 7, 2011
- Webinar: "Best Practices to Avoid & Minimize Product Liability Litigation: a US and EU Perspective," guest speaker for life sciences industry insurer, May 25, 2011
- "Selected Topics in Life Sciences Products Litigation," guest presenter for life sciences industry insurer, February 2010
- Seminar: "Marketing and Protection of Design Professional Services on the Internet," November, 2008
- Seminar: "Business Promotion on the Internet," April, 2008
- "Working With The Physician’s Counsel in Defending 'Off-Label Use' Litigation," Defense Research Institute - Rx for the Defense, October, 2007
- "Advertising and Business Promotion," Lorman Education Services, Pasadena, California, October, 2002
- "Working With The Physician in Defending Failure to Warn Cases," Defense Research Institute - Rx for the Defense, May 15, 2002
- International BIO Conference, Seattle, 1999 – Presentation on Biotech Product Liability Issues
- International BIO Conference, New York City, 1998 – Presentation on FDA Compliance