Edward J. HoodEdward Hood Clark Hill
Edward J. Hood
Edward J. Hood is an experienced and versatile trial lawyer. His litigation practice involves construction, business, and tort cases in state and federal courts and arbitrations. Edward serves as the firm's General Counsel, representing the law firm in its legal matters and counseling firm attorneys on professional ethics issues.
Edward is also a trained and qualified mediator and arbitrator. He accepts mediation and arbitration engagements involving business, construction, and professional liability issues. Edward is a member of the American Arbitration Association’s national roster of construction arbitrators.
Edward is rated "AV" by Martindale-Hubbell's peer review rating service, the highest rating for legal ability and ethics, and was selected for inclusion in Michigan Super Lawyers for 2010 through 2015. He is a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, an honor reserved to less than 1 percent of lawyers in each state.
Edward has served as a member of the State Bar of Michigan Committee on Professional Ethics since 2011. He has also been active in the American Inns of Court – a organization dedicated to excellence and civility in advocacy – having served in the University of Detroit Chapter and in the Thomas M. Cooley Chapter in Ann Arbor.
While at the University of Michigan, Edward majored in English literature and earned a varsity letter as a member of the Michigan football team from 1982 to 1985. Edward remains an active supporter of University of Michigan athletics, and has served as President of the Letterwinners M Club for 2007-2008.
While attending Wayne State University, Edward received several moot court advocacy awards, including the Mark Johnson briefwriting award, first place briefwriter in Spring 1988 Moot Court Competition, first place in the Fall 1987 Arthur Neef Moot Court Competition, and first place in the Spring 1988 Law Day Moot Court Competition. He also represented Wayne Law School as a briefwriter in national Moot Court Competition.
Edward earned a Master of Business Administration degree at the Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan. He graduated with high distinction and twice earned admission to Beta Gamma Sigma, the highest scholastic honor conferred by the Ross School of Business.
Edward is a contributing author of Clark Hill’s Michigan Construction Law Manual, which was first published by West in 2009 and is updated annually.
The following are some of Edward’s cases:
- Lead counsel for global integrated steel producer in arbitration against supplier of iron ore regarding pricing and environmental issues
- Lead counsel in several corporate governance, fiduciary duty and shareholder rights actions in Michigan courts
- Lead counsel for trucking company in defense of significant personal injury claim, including alleged traumatic brain injury
- Lead and local counsel for international food franchisor in various civil litigation
- Lead counsel for global integrated steel producer in arbitration against supplier of pulverized coal regarding supply reliability and pricing issues
- Lead counsel for receiver in SEC civil enforcement action against a Ponzi-scheme operator and ancillary fraudulent transfer and securities fraud actions
- Lead counsel for global integrated steel producer in arbitration against coke supplier regarding product quality issues
- Lead counsel for municipality in defense of claim for cost overruns on water/sewer project
- Lead counsel for global integrated steel producer in class action lawsuits claiming environmental nuisance and related air quality claims
- Lead counsel for subcontractor in asserting change and cost overrun claim on oil refinery project
- Lead counsel for Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation in declaratory judgment action against director and officer liability policy insurer
- Lead counsel for bankruptcy trustee in adversary proceedings against principal of Tier-1 automotive supplier
- Lead counsel for general contractor in asserting delay, disruption and cost overrun claims on natural gas process and distribution facility project