Deanna M. DeldinDeanna Deldin Clark Hill
Deanna M. Deldin
Deanna represents and advises private foundations, community foundations, cultural institutions such as libraries and museums, governmental entities, public charities, hospital conversion foundations, religious organizations, trade and professional organizations, community development corporations and other social, civic, charitable, and religious groups. She works with tax exempt organizations to secure and retain tax-exempt status, advise on corporate governance matters, provide general operational advice and provide advice regarding Internal Revenue Service, Attorney General and other regulatory authority oversight and compliance. Deanna has experience counseling private foundations, public charities, and other exempt organizations with compliance issues such as self-dealing, excess business holdings, taxable expenditures, jeopardizing investments, program related investments, intermediate sanctions rules, IRS Form 990-PF and Form 990 reporting matters, unrelated business taxable income, lobbying and political activities, expenditure responsibility, international grant making, sales tax, solicitation registration requirements, and commercial co-venturer arrangements.
Deanna received a B.B.A. in accounting from the University of Michigan – Dearborn in 2003, graduating with honors of distinction. She earned a J.D., cum laude, from Wayne State University Law School in 2007. While attending law school, Deanna participated in Moot Court, earning a number of awards for her brief writing and oralist skills, including, 1st place oralist, 1st place team brief and 2nd place individual brief awards in the Law Day Competition in 2006, and 1st place individual brief award in the Arthur Neef Competition in 2005. Deanna also served as an extern to the Honorable Antonio P. Viviano, Chief Judge of the Macomb County 16th Judicial Circuit Court.
Deanna is active in the community; she previously served as a board member and member of the Finance Committee and Governance Committee for The Lake House – A Gathering Place for Those Touched by Cancer. She currently serves as a board member of the Accounting Aid Society.
Presentations & Publications
- Speaker, Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants Webinar – “Nonprofit Boot Camp,” May 2017
- Speaker, Minerva Education & Development Foundation Seminar Want to Make a Difference: The Business of Serving: How to Start and Maintain a 501(c)(3) Organization – “Good Governance for Nonprofit Organizations,” March 2017
- Speaker, Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants Non-Profit Conference – “View from the Nonprofit Risk Management Landscape,” October 2016
- Speaker, Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants Non-Profit Conference -
- “Schedule A – Because Form 990 Isn’t Complicated Enough,” 2015
- Speaker, ICLE 26th Annual Business Law Institute, Business Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan – “Nonprofit Corporation Primer,” June 2014
- Author, “Protecting Charitable Assets – a New Model Act”; Michigan Business Law Journal, Summer 2012
- Co-Author of “The Michigan Low-Profit Limited Liability Company – Encouraging Investment in Socially Beneficial Enterprises”; Michigan Business Law Journal, Summer 2009