Dean A. OlsonDean Olson Clark Hill
Dean A. Olson
Dean A. Olson is a trial attorney, litigator and litigation manager for cases involving products, transportation and employment litigation. Dean is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA); he has an active statewide trial practice, and he serves as regional and state trial counsel for a number of clients. He is designated trial counsel and national trial team member for corporations in the defense of liability and toxic tort claims.
Dean has tried numerous complex employment, transportation and toxic tort jury trials throughout California for brake and insulation manufacturers, premise owners and trucking and transportation companies. Presently, Dean manages a large and varied caseload of catastrophic transportation claims and cases. Dean has been retained as lead defense counsel for the 13 fatality and 32 injury claims arising from the October 2016 USA Holiday bus accident near Palm Springs, CA. Since 2000, Dean has typically tried at least one complex jury trial to verdict each year in state and federal court.
Dean gained his initial trial experience representing law enforcement agencies and officers in state and federal civil rights jury trials. Since the late 1980s, his trial practice expanded into the areas of products, premises, employment and toxic tort liability. Dean recently served as an expert witness and testified in an asbestos insurance coverage trial.
Dean has made extensive use of the latest techniques in case evaluation and trial preparation including jury focus groups and mock juries. Using alternative dispute resolution approaches, he has achieved a high success rate in the resolution of numerous complex and difficult cases. In the end, the most effective settlement strategy involves thorough trial preparation and the ability to successfully try the case.
Dean frequently lectures for numerous organizations including seminars on Trial Advocacy and MDL 875 for ACI, Trial Advocacy for the National Business Institute and Fraud Litigation for the Defense Research Institute (DRI). He also provides risk management counseling and advice to his clients to help avoid and minimize legal issues. For example, in response to the growing issue of cyber-bullying, Dean has become proficient in the legal implications of this issue and advises educational institutions as to precautions to protect their campuses.
- Presenter, "Current Status of Punitive Damages Given Exposure That Occurred Decades Ago and a Closer Look at Hotbed Jurisdictions," American Conference Institute's 22nd National Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims & Litigation, January 13, 2017
- Presenter, "Lessons Never Learned in Law School: Trial Tips in Employment Cases," LACBA Labor & Employment Law Section 2015 Annual Retreat, April 2015
- Presenter, "Asbestos Claims & Litigation," American Conference Institute 16th National Advanced Forum, January 2014
- Presenter, "Constitutional Laws on Cyberbullying," ABA, December 2013
- Presenter, "Department of Insurance Fair Claims Regulations," Berkshire Hathaway Inc., October 9, 2013
- Presenter, "Constitutional Laws on Cyberbullying," ABA Young Lawyers Division, September 5, 2013
- "Constitutionality of Cyberbullying Laws," Speaker, American Bar Association 2013 Annual Meeting, August 2013
- "Spotlight on Premises Owners, Contractors/Suppliers, and the Continued Expansion of Take Home Exposure Cases," Presenter, American Conference Institute's 14th Annual Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims and Litigation, June 2013
- "The Navy Cases: Bolstering Your Case from Discovery Through Trial," Presenter, American Conference Institute's 13th Annual Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims and Litigation, January 2013
- "Cyberbullying: free speech vs. protecting children," Los Angeles Daily Journal, June 12, 2012
- Editor, Morris Polich & Purdy LLP's Newsletter Employment Law Update, February 2012
- "California Employment Law: Updates & Changes for 2012," Presenter, MPP Seminar, San Diego, February 15, 2012
- "California Employment Law: Updates & Changes for 2012," Presenter, MPP Seminar, San Francisco, February 8, 2012
- "MDL Update and MDL 875 Lessons Learned," Presenter, American Conference Institute's 12th Annual Advanced Forum on Asbestos Claims and Litigation, January 2012
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA) - Lecturer
- American Bar Association (ABA) - Lecturer
- National Business Institute (NBI) - Lecturer
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) - Faculty
- American Conference Institute - Lecturer