Christopher N. SkeyChristopher Skey Clark Hill
Christopher N. Skey
Christopher N. Skey is a member of the Environment, Energy & National Resources Practice Group in Clark Hill's Chicago office. For more than 15 years, Chris has conducted a broad-based energy practice, handling complex matters on behalf of large commercial, industrial, and governmental energy users, renewable energy developers and asset owners, competitive energy suppliers (electric and natural gas), energy cooperatives, public utilities, transmission companies, municipalities, trade groups, lenders, building and facility owners, data centers, “green” energy suppliers, non-profit organizations, and other energy market participants.
Chris handles regulatory, transactional, and litigated matters. His work ranges from conducting complex contractual negotiations associated with energy supply and renewable development issues, to appearing before regulatory agencies and courts on a variety of energy-related licensing, rulemaking, investigatory, compliance audit, complaint, and other litigated proceedings. He regularly counsels domestic and non-U.S. energy market participants and energy project developers on compliance and strategic planning related to the regulatory, legal, and political developments affecting their interests and projects.
Chris complements his focus on energy-related matters with a background involving a range of experience in environmental, natural resource, constitutional, and commercial matters, including construction, insurance, trade secrets, restrictive covenants, employment, fraud, product liability, copyright, contracts, antitrust, securities, and other business-related matters. In additional to energy companies of all sorts, Chris has represented lenders, construction firms, accounting firms, financial services firms, data centers, technology firms, universities and research institutions, museums, law firms, pharmaceutical firms, food and beverage firms, engineering firms, industrial manufacturers, real estate developers, airlines, Native American tribes, consultants, marketing firms, insurance companies, small businesses, non-profit organizations, and individuals.
Throughout his career, Chris has been strongly committed to pro bono work, providing free representation to low-income individuals and small businesses, as well as local and national non-profit organizations. Chris has a long affiliation as a volunteer attorney for Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (CVLS), the oldest civil pro bono legal services organization in the Chicago area. Chris also served for six years on the CVLS Board of Directors and as Board President in 2013-2014. He currently chairs CVLS's Advisory Board.
In addition to private practice experience, Chris served as a Judicial Law Clerk to U.S. District Judge Steven D. Merryday, Middle District of Florida (Tampa Division), from 2000 to 2003.
In addition to volunteering for various Clark Hill community improvement projects, Chris is active in community organizations as a volunteer tutor for Books & Breakfast at Kingsley Elementary School in Evanston, IL; a youth soccer coach for Evanston AYSO; and a food repack volunteer for Feed My Starving Children in Libertyville, IL.
Skey Reported Cases
The following cases are a matter of public record, and provide a survey of Chris’s regulatory and litigation work in the energy sector and beyond.
- Illinois Commerce Commission Part 412 / Part 453 Rulemaking, 2017 WL 4780636 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2017); 2017 WL 2424022 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2017).
- Re: Commonwealth Edison Company 2016 Rate Design Case, 2017 WL 3219218 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2017).
- Commonwealth Edison Company v. Illinois Commerce Commission, 2016 IL 118129 (Ill. Supreme Ct. 2016).
- Fortis Inc. and ITC Midwest, LLC Petition for Reorganization, 2016 WL 4493843 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2016).
- The Coalition to Request Equitable Allocation of Costs Together ("REACT") v. Illinois Commerce Commission, 2015 IL App (2d) 140202 (Ill. App. Ct. 2015).
- Commonwealth Edison Company v. Illinois Commerce Commission, 2014 IL App (1st) 130544 (Ill. Appellate Ct. 2014).
- Re: Commonwealth Edison Company 2014–2017 Energy Efficiency and Demand Response Plan, 2014 WL 408765 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2014).
- Re: Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity 2014–2017 Energy Efficiency Portfolio and Plan, 2014 WL 408767 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2014).
- Re: Ameren Transmission Company of Illinois (Illinois Rivers Project), 2013 WL 4508733 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2013).
- Re: North Shore Gas Company / Peoples Gas Light and Coke Company, 2012 Rate Case, 2013 WL 3762292 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2013).
- Re: Illinois Power Agency 2013 Procurement Plan, 2012 WL 6725795 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2012).
- Re: Chicago Clean Energy, Inc., 2011 WL 681760 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2012).
- Re: Ameren Illinois Company 2011 Rate Case, 2012 WL 681750 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2012).
- Re: North Shore Gas Company / Peoples Gas Light and Coke Company 2011 Rate Case, 2012 WL 681749 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2012).
- Re: Chicago Clean Energy, Inc., 2011 WL 7142048 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2011).
- Re: Commonwealth Edison Company 2010 Rate Case, 2011 WL 2521858 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2011).
- Illinois Commerce Commission v. Commonwealth Edison Company, 2010 WL 1868316 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2010).
- Re: Northern Illinois Gas Company dba Nicor 2009 Rate Case, 2009 WL 1532999 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2009).
- Re: Commonwealth Edison Company 2007 Rate Case, 2008 WL 4489072 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2008).
- BDO Seidman, LLP v. Harris, 885 N.E.2d 470 (Ill. Appellate Ct. 2008).
- United States v. All Meat and Poultry Products Stored at LaGrou Cold Storage, 407 F. Supp. 2d 823 (N.D. Ill. 2007).
- Re: Interstate Power and Light Company, 2007 WL 4754232 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2007).
- Re: Interstate Power and Light Company, 2007 WL 1794929 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2007).
- Re: South Beloit Water, Gas and Electric Company, 2007 WL 1794930 (Ill. Commerce Commission 2007).
- Schindler v. Cequent Consumer Products, Inc., 2006 WL 2062099 (E.D. Mo. 2006).
- Strategic Energy, LLC v. Illinois Commerce Commission, 860 N.E.2d 361 (Ill. Appellate Ct. 2006).
- MidAmerican Energy Company v. Illinois Commerce Commission, 854 N.E.2d 238 (Ill. Appellate Ct. 2006).
- Illinois Commerce Commission v. Entergy-Koch Trading, LP, 841 N.E.2d 27 (Ill. Appellate Ct. 2005).
- Mercury Skyline Yacht Charters v. The Dave Matthews Band, Inc., 2005 WL 3159680 (N.D. Ill. 2005).
- Roadway Express v. Juedes, 2004 WL 2423811 (N.D. Ill. 2004).