Virgil W. "Chip" Duffie, IIIVirgil W. "Chip" Duffie, III Clark Hill
Virgil W. "Chip" Duffie, III
Chip Duffie focuses his practice on environmental law, with a particular emphasis on compliance, safetyæand sustainability issues. He regularly counsels clients on regulatory, administrative and environmental issues, compliance program development, enterprise risk management, superfund issues, liability accounting, due diligence and internal investigations. Chip has worked extensively with all levels of local, state and federal regulators, as well as multiple political, NGO and community stakeholder groups, covering a broad array of complex issues.
Prior to joining Clark Hill Strasburger, Chip served as Chief ComplianceæOfficer and the sole in-house environmental counsel for North America's largest environmental and oil recycling company with responsibility for all Environmental, Health and Safety functions at more than 200 facilities. He led a team of more than 60 environmental professionals in 48 states and 5 Canadian provinces.
REGULATORY & COMPLIANCE COUNSELING
- Negotiated multiple operating permits, work plans, Notice of Violation and consent orders with a broad range of regulators. Also, worked closely with technical permit writers and program development and enforcement personnel in multiple states across many different agencies.
- Directed internal investigations and site audits in connection with regulatory and policy compliance issues.
- Built and managed compliance, safety and sustainability consulting businessæforæsupplier of industrial safety products.
- Led team that designed and implemented a comprehensive ISO 14001 compliant Environmental Management System across a national footprint.
- Represented clients at more than 100 superfund sites, including two sites where he served as Chairman of the PRP group.
- Responsible for the management and resolution of thousands of bankruptcy claims, ranging from trade collectibles to complex regulatory claims.
- Provided compliance, safety and audit guidance for exploration and production support operations, including man-camps, land surveying and rig servicing functions.
- Led regulatory support team for refinery and collection operations for largest used oil processor in North America, including fleet/DOT compliance and air permitting support.
TRANSACTION DILIGENCE & POST-CLOSING COMPLIANCE INTEGRATION
- Led compliance related due diligence efforts for corporate acquisitions and divestitures, including compliance programs, site conditions and operating permit reviews. He was also the environmental due diligence lead in connection with several credit facility renegotiation and two Initial Public Offerings.
ENTERPRISE RISK MANAGEMENT
- Responsible for Internal Audit function, including the comprehensive annual assessment of Enterprise Risk and reporting the results to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Served as primary external audit contact for liability accounting function, including development and management of a multimillion dollar budget, and responsibility for creation and resolution of mutli-million dollar liability reserves
- Responsible for the creation, development and implementation of global sustainability program and Corporate Social Responsibility efforts for a public company, including reporting to the Board of Directors and the rollout of all sustainability tools, communications, training and projects.
- Launched supply chain monitoring program to manage risk and drive integrity and accountability to a large and diverse supplier base.
- Implemented comprehensive carbon footprinting project, involving data collection and analysis of energy and water consumption.
- Keynote Speaker. Shell Oil Company Supplier Diversity Symposium (2015)
- Keynote Speaker. Production Engine Remanufacturers Association National Conference (2015)
- Panelist. Conducting Internal Risk Assessments: Addressing Governance, Risk and Compliance from Within, Consero Corporate Compliance & Ethics Forum (2012)
Virgil W. "Chip" Duffie III also serves as the principal of EHS Momentum, an environmental, health and safety consulting firm which does not provide legal services. No attorney client relationship will be formed between Clark Hill Strasburger and any client of EHS Momentum unless such party and Clark Hill Strasburger enter into a separate engagement letter. Similarly, no client relationship will be formed between EHS Momentum and any client of Clark Hill Strasburger unless such party and EHS Momentum enter into a separate engagement letter.