Chad M. PoznanskyChad Poznansky Clark Hill
Chad M. Poznansky
Chad M. Poznansky is a Member in Clark Hill’s Real Estate Practice Group in the firm’s Chicago office. He is adjunct to the Banking and Finance Practice Group as well as the Corporate Practice Group.
Chad focuses his practice on commercial and residential real estate acquisitions and dispositions, including multifamily apartment buildings, condominium properties, vacant land, office buildings, shopping centers and hotels. He also has a wealth of experience in retail and condominium development and leasing projects. Chad counsels small and medium sized businesses with respect to formation and capitalization issues, operating issues, acquisitions, financing and succession planning. Chad also represents local and regional banks in secured financing transactions, note sales and REO dispositions. He brings a unique perspective to each loan transaction with his real estate sophistication and often counsels financial institutions on the inherent risk of title and survey issues.
Prior to earning his Juris Doctor from DePaul University, Chad graduated from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with a Bachelor of Science in Finance. His specializations included Real Estate and Business Management.
Chad has always enjoyed using his legal skills to help others. He served for several years as an Associate Board Member for the Christopher House, a community organization offering full-service support to families in need. Additionally, he took part in a Hurricane Katrina relief trip to offer legal advice and help with clean up. While at DePaul, he worked in the law school’s legal clinic providing pro bono services to not-for-profit organizations in low-income Chicago communities.
Chad has been recognized by Illinois Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star" in Real Estate for the years 2014-2017.
Summary of Professional Experience
- Sophisticated real estate transactions, including negotiating acquisition/disposition contracts and financing agreements, 1031 exchanges and articles of agreement for deed.
- Commercial real estate lease negotiations, including representing landlords and tenants in the office, retail and industrial sectors.
- Representation of developers in condominium conversions, including drafting property reports, condominium declarations and easement agreements.
- Serving as general counsel for condominium associations.
- Representation of real estate investors in the purchase of notes and subsequent negotiations of deed-in-lieu of foreclosures.
- Representation of real estate investors in negotiating operating agreement and joint venture relationships.
- Preparation and negotiation of construction contracts, including owner-general contractor and owner-architect agreements.
- Counseling clients on business formation and ongoing business matters: drafting, reviewing and negotiating operating agreements and by-laws for LLCs and closely-held corporations and prepare resolutions and amendments to company documents.
- Representing businesses in acquisition/disposition of stock and asset sale/purchases.
- Leading clients in raising of private equity: advising clients on capital structure, preparing private placement memorandum and subscription agreements, and registering securities with SEC and State Securities department.
- Drafting and negotiation of employment contracts: including non-compete agreements, executive compensation packages and severance agreements.
- Drafting and interpreting employment handbooks in conjunction with federal and state law.
- Working with not-for-profit corporations in organizing and preparing Internal Revenue Service documentation to gain federal tax exemption status.
- Serving as outside counsel for businesses in drafting and reviewing general business contracts: includes product rental, vendor and service agreements.
- Preparing guidelines and rules for financial institution board of director subcommittees.