Ashley C. CoppolaAshley Coppola Clark Hill
Ashley C. Coppola
Ashley C. Coppola is an Associate in the Litigation Practice Group of Clark Hill’s Chicago office. Ashley’s expertise includes, but is not limited to, contested guardianships, estate and trust litigation and administration, and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
Areas of Emphasis:
- Guardianship and conservatorship litigation
- Guardianship and conservatorship Administration
- Trust & Estate Litigation
- Trust and Estate Administration
- Trusts and Estates
- Will Contests
Ashley prosecutes and defends guardianship actions related to estates of adults with disabilities and minors. Ashley routinely represents individuals, corporate fiduciaries, health care providers, and state agencies in all stages of guardianship litigation and administration. Ashley possesses intimate knowledge and strategy involving statutory protections for the physical safety of adults with disabilities and minors. Additionally, Ashley prosecutes asset recovery actions against financial exploiters and also provides defense related to asset recovery actions. Ashley litigates matters regarding enforceability of powers of attorney and conversely defending agents under powers of attorney accused of misconduct in connection with guardianship proceedings. Ashley is frequently appointed by judges in the Probate Division of the Circuit Court of Cook County to serve as Guardian Ad Litem in adult guardianship matters as well as defense counsel for adults with an alleged disability.
Estates & Trusts:
Ashley represents individual and corporate fiduciaries in matters involving claims of lack of capacity, undue influence, fraud, and forgery. Ashley prosecutes and defends actions on behalf of institutional fiduciaries, individual fiduciaries, and personal representatives in breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, negligence, and recovery of asset claims. Ashley prosecutes and defends will contests and other post-death estate challenges, such as contested heirship, accountings, and claims.
- Since 2015, Ashley has been named as an Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star. Each year, no more than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor.
- In 2017, Ashley was selected by Emerging Lawyers Magazine as a leading emerging lawyer in Trust, Will, & Estate Planning Law.
Professional and Community Activities:
- Chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s Elder Law Committee
- Member of the Women’s Bar Foundation’s Junior Board
- Member of the National Academy for Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- Vice-chair of the National Guardianship Committee
- Current Chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s Continuing Legal Education Committee
Ashley routinely lectures on guardianship and elder law topics through continuing legal education programs and various educational platforms. Ashley is also involved in guardianship and elder law legislation with the State of Illinois.
Ashley is an avid supporter and volunteer for Misericordia Heart of Mercy and the Adult Down Syndrome Medical Center.
Education and Professional Background:
Ashley graduated from the John Marshall Law School and was a clinical student in the Veteran’s Legal Support Center and Clinic. In the clinic, Ashley represented veterans seeking appeals from improper denial of benefits by the Veterans Benefits Administration. Ashley was also a clinical student in the Domestic Violence Legal Clinic in Chicago, where she prosecuted emergency and plenary orders of protection on behalf of victims. Prior to law school, Ashley earned her B.S. in Psychology and Political Science from the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign.