More News > >
Admitted to practice in Michigan, Illinois, U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
J.D., University of Michigan, 1989
B.A., University of Michigan, 1985
State Bar of Michigan
American Bankruptcy Institute
Turnaround Management Association (Board of Directors, Michigan Chapter)
National Association of Federal Equity Receivers
Robert D. Gordon is a member of Clark Hill’s Corporate Restructuring & Bankruptcy Practice Group. Robert focuses his practice in the areas of corporate reorganization, bankruptcy and insolvency-related matters, debtor and creditor rights, workouts, and related commercial litigation.
Robert has broad experience representing various parties in interest in bankruptcy and other judicial proceedings and in out-of-court workouts and restructurings, spanning a variety of industries and economic segments, including automotive and other manufacturing, municipal finance, real estate, gaming, retail, telecommunications, and aviation. He represents distressed companies, trade creditors and creditors’ committees, pension systems, lenders and other secured parties, purchasers of distressed assets, lessors, and trustees and liquidating agents in complex matters in Michigan and throughout the United States. Robert also regularly represents parties in fraudulent transfer actions, preference actions, and other commercial and bankruptcy-related litigation and has argued cases before numerous courts. He also has served as mediator in such disputes. Robert also is experienced in serving as a federal court Receiver and is a member of the National Association of Federal Equity Receivers.
By way of example, Robert and his team recently have been engaged or are currently engaged in the following matters, among others:
- Special Restructuring Counsel to the Detroit Retirement Systems in connection with the City of Detroit’s financial and operational restructuring and Chapter 9 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Counsel to the Unsecured Creditors' Committee and the Liquidating Trustee in the Chapter 11 case Plastech Engineered Products, Inc., involving a Tier 1 automotive supplier with annual revenues of approximately $1.4 billion.
- Counsel to the Unsecured Creditors' Committee in the Chapter 11 case Greektown Holdings, LLC, involving a casino and hotel complex with annual revenues in excess of $300 million.
- Court-appointed Receiver in an SEC enforcement action entitled Securities and Exchange Commission v. Gregory N. McKnight, et al., involving an Internet-based international Ponzi scheme that raised approximately $75 million.
- Counsel to the Unsecured Creditors' Committee in the Chapter 11 case Cadence Innovation, LLC, pending in Delaware, involving a Tier 1 automotive supplier with consolidated annual revenues of approximately $750 million.
- Counsel to the Debtor in the Chapter 11 case Edgewood Villas, involving a bond-financed low-income multifamily apartment complex.
Robert frequently lectures on bankruptcy and creditors’ rights topics for various legal and industry associations. Applying his private-sector restructuring expertise to the public-finance sector, Robert has also frequently spoken on Chapter 9 bankruptcy issues. Robert has been selected in 2010-14 by The Best Lawyers in America® in the specialty of Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law, and has been selected in 2007-12 by Michigan Super Lawyers as a leading attorney in Michigan in his area of expertise. He is certified as an expert in Business Bankruptcy by the American Board of Certification.